1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Acceptable frame angle

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Shady Brook, Jan 14, 2002.

1. Shady Brook

Shady Brook Member
    from Indiana

I just put an add a leaf on my F250, and it has elevated the front of my truck 2-3 inches. With the plow on, I am no longer level from the front of the a frame to the back. I am a good 1.5 inches higher nearest the truck. Is this an ok taper, or do I need to do some dropping of the frame? Not sure I can drop to that level. How high should the frame be off the ground near the truck anyhow, my Western manual does not tell me anything?

Thanks fellas
    Jay

Not that I am using my plow for anything anyway! :)

2. sledhead

sledhead Member

Western Mount

What mount do you have? Uni, or Ultra?
    On a Ultra Mount, with the plow lowered to the ground and on level pavement, measure the distance between the ground and the center of the pivot bar bolt. This dimension must be between 9-3/4" to 11-1/4".
    Can't help ya with the Uni.

Sledhead

3. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

Mount the plow, at full angle if the side of the plow closest to the truck stays on the ground, then you should be ok. If it lifts off the ground, then you will need to lower the hitch point. The plow may trip easier, but a spring adjustment may help with that.
    Dino

4. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

I would tend to agree with Plowking. If you only raised it a little then you probably brought it close to the stock height of a F350. I am not sure with Western but I know other companies use the same mount height for the two. If the plow is ok at full angle you should be fine. 1.5" is not that much of a difference. I have seen more that still worked fine.

5. Plow Meister

Plow Meister PlowSite.com Addict

Shady,

I did the same thing to my F250 and it raised the front end about 2". When I went out the first time with the new add-a-leafs the blade seemed to spend more time tripped than upright. Now that I removed the leafs, it doesn't trip near as much as it did with the leafs.

Also, if you have the unimount, there will be a series of adjustment holes. If the truck raised 2" than you can lower the brackets the corresponding amount to help keep the blade from tripping.

6. Shady Brook

Shady Brook Member
    from Indiana

I have the Western unimount.

At full angle she touches all the way accross, so it looks like I am ok. From the look of the plow though, I can imagine that when I plow snow, it may turn it under pretty easy. Maybe, just maybe Meister and I will be out plowing tomarow. I was begining to think I bought that Poly edge from Plowking for nothing. :D

I sure appreciate you helpful comments men. Oh, if I do drop the plow mount down, which I can only imagine would be wonderful fun... Not! If I get where the plow sits on an angle where it is lower nearest the truck, will that pose any problems? Right now with the plow, I would say that it sits at stock 350 height or lower, I would say that it would sit dead level without the 1000 or so pounds of balast in the truck.

Thanks again
    Jay

7. Plow Meister

If you do have to move the mount down, make the center of the pin betwen 9 3/4" to 11 1/2" from the ground with the truck at full rest. It is the same measurement as the ultra mount.

Jay,

We are supposed to get 2 - 3" tomorrow. Cross your fingers.

8. Shady Brook

Shady Brook Member
    from Indiana

Christopher

Is your trigger 2"? I need the money, resources are running low! When you say pin, do you mean the hitch pins on the aframe that mount to the truck? I am at 12.5 with the plow up if that is what you mean, near 13.5 if plow down.

Take care
    Jay

9. Plow Meister

Your hitch pin is WAY too high. That was the measurement you need to take. You did exactly the same thing I did with my truck. When I went out to plow the first time last year I was sooooo pissed off I couldn't see straight. The blade kept tripping while plowing only 6" of soft snow. Lower the bracket. I promise it is worth the bloody knuckles and headaches. If you don't it will take twice as long to plow the same lot.

For most of my accounts I go out at 2". I do have some accounts that pay per hour (Cracker Barrel, Casey's General, other gas stations) where I NEED to keep them clear whatever the cost. Depending on the weather, I will plow about every 1" to 2" or whenever I deem necessary.