1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Acari Mount Question and Request

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by jrtcbmw, Jan 9, 2012.

1. jrtcbmw

jrtcbmw Member

I have been looking around, and noticed that the acari mount only list for an 06 and up super duty. I thought the cabs on the super duty were the same since 99?

Has anyone with an older super duty tried using the acari mount?

Also if you have one (prefer super duty photos, but any will do) can you post up photos of the front of the mount.

Reason i ask is because my Sirius antenna comes out my 3rd brake light housing and rest right under where the mount would be, im thinking if i get the mount, that i could just pull the wire out further so it would clear the mount but still be able to come out the third brake housing and under the mount.

2. jrtcbmw

jrtcbmw Member

Anyone willing to help out before i pull the trigger and buy everything blind?

3. jhall22guitar

jhall22guitar PlowSite.com Addict

Id love to help, but I never got one, I just went with a mag mounted light. Figured it would save money instead of buying the Acari.

4. jrtcbmw

jrtcbmw Member

Yeah thats my backup option. but ive seen what happens when the mag mount lets go, and it wasnt pretty.

5. ChiTahoe

ChiTahoe Senior Member

There was a post saying that the Ford rear window designs haven't changed for many years, ofcourse I cant remember it now lol.
    Search the forum and you'll find it, I'll try to find the post in the morning.

6. George C

George C Senior Member

The Ford's are all the same. I have had three of them, and nothing's changed with the cab.

I use a Chevy for my plow truck right now, and I just installed the Acari Mount and the mounting between all of the trucks are the same. The only difference is the corresponding gaskets. I highly recommend it. Once the mount is secured in the third brake light hole, you'll see that you can externally mount your Satt. antenna right on top of the mount, next to your strobe. All of the wires will be tucked away inside the Acari mount.
    Just a thought, but I sent the Acari to my body shop to have it sprayed the same color as my truck so it looks apart of the truck, and not an add-on.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2012
  7. jhall22guitar

George I like that idea, and the mag mount on my Flacon is fine under 60mph. I had it come off once on the highway going 80 -__- stayed on the cord, didnt break :D (dodged that one!)

8. ChiTahoe

ChiTahoe Senior Member

I've seen what happens when they fly off...the repairs get expensive!

9. George C

George C Senior Member

Considering how thin today's roof metal is on today's trucks, I think all of us who have used a mag mount have experienced a blow off at highway speed. That's why I tried this Acari mount. I bolted my Mini Pinnacle down to it, drilled and grommeted a small hole for the wire, and now I have a clean and permanent mounted light with no exposed wiring and no highway speed blow off worries.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2012
  10. jhall22guitar

Its funny how anytime before this, probably 30 times, I have driven to my job on Cape Cod (1 hour 15 minutes away going 65) it has stayed on, I take one trip to Bridgewater, MA (15 min going 65) and it lets go on that trip, normally on the ride to the Cape I average 85. LOL

11. jrtcbmw

jrtcbmw Member

Well i ended up buying the mag mount of my mini light bar. Main reason at this point is fiances and that the bases on the light bar are the same mag mount or perm mount.

so for the time being ill use the mag mount at least until i have some extra money to buy the Acari mount or until i dont feel comfortable enough to run a mag mount anymore.

Im still very very iffy about running the mag mount light bar. but money was a big player in the decision at this point.

But thank you for all the feed back and keep providing the information for future members who may be searching or have questions. and still if you have photos. im still interested.

thank you again
    Jason

12. George C

George C Senior Member

Just remember that the Acari isn't an option with a mag mount because it's made from aluminum.
    You might want to order the perm mounts for your light just to keep that option open in the future.

13. jrtcbmw

jrtcbmw Member

Yeah i know it wont work with the mag mount. but the base plate for the mag mount and perm mount are the same, so i can just bolt it to the Acari mount using the existing hardware that the bar uses to mount the magnets. That was the main reason i purchased the light.

14. jhall22guitar

I made a wooden back rack for my truck to store tools and crap in, just outta boredem one day, So on the cross bar I am going to "permanent" mount my Mag mount, unscrew the mags, put some bolts in their place, and bolt to the wooden cross bar. Cheaper than the acari!

15. George C

George C Senior Member

I use a full tonneau cover on my bed, so anything that mounts to the rails, like a back-rack won't work. That's why the Acari was the only option. Either way, I would buy it all over again because I like things clean, and it doesn't get any cleaner.

16. jrtcbmw

jrtcbmw Member

Im in the same boat. I have a full tonneau cover on my truck and its not going anywhere. thats why i dont have a back rack on the truck. I do plan on building a custom one at some point that will work with my tonneau cover and be able to house lights and my light bar. but thats down the road.

17. Boomer123

Boomer123 Senior Member

Looks like the Acari is only for chevy's 2007+ I have a 99 newer body style do you think it would work.

18. Fire_n_Ice

Fire_n_Ice Senior Member

George,

Could post some pics of your mount? That's a great idea to have it painted...I've been kicking around the idea of this mount but didn't like the way it looked. I'd be real interested in seeing what it looks like! How much they ding ya for such a small paint job?

19. George C

George C Senior Member

Sorry for the lack of response. I'll take some pics and post them soon.

20. Fire_n_Ice

Fire_n_Ice Senior Member

Any chance you were able to snap a few pics?