1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

abuse on truck which is worse plowing lots or plowing roads

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by AintNoFun, Oct 9, 2006.

1. AintNoFun

AintNoFun Senior Member

Just a quick question, which do you think is worse overall on a truck, plowing lots and constantly shifting into reverse or plowing miles and miles of roadway? Im thinking about giving up all my commercial jobs and sending all my trucks out to our local road dept. this year. Just trying to add one more thing to the pro/con side. thanks
  2. Bruce'sEx

Bruce'sEx Senior Member

What are the conditions of the pavement of the roads vs the Commericals?
  3. PowerWagon

PowerWagon Senior Member

keep one for your self to dig you out the snow.
  4. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

What type of roads would you be plowing? How fast? What type of trucks do you have? Working for a town might pay you more, but it also takes sometime to get paid, but on the other hand they are much easier to deal with than businesses IMO.
  5. AintNoFun

AintNoFun Senior Member

well they will pay within 20 days which is much better than the 30 to 60 im dealing with now. i would say about 70% of the roads we will be plowing have been repaved within the past 3 or 4 years so its pretty good conditions. im leaning towards working with them i won't have to worry about shovelers not showing up, slip and falls, salters not running etc. it would be less money then i make now but less headaches...
  6. Rcgm

Rcgm Senior Member

I would plow sub divisions and roads any day of the week over parking lots. I love sub divisions the only problems there are small courts. But around her the roads are in pretty good shape no gravel,dirt or hilly roads really.

7. crazymike

crazymike Senior Member
    from Toronto

With trucks, plowing roads will more than likely be easier on them.

In large dump trucks you are cruising along quite quickly and always hitting sewers, potholes, etc...

But in a small truck you are just more or less putting along at low speed.
  8. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

fill me in here. in these parts the city street maintaince crew plow the city streets, city park and rec. plow all the parks. county maintaince do the county walks. township crews do all the country roads, and the state do all the highways. they don't hire subs.
  9. Rcgm

Rcgm Senior Member

In my part of the city we rarely see big snows 8 to 10 inch is a big storm that we usually see 1 time a season mostly 3 to 4 inch storms.But here in Indianapolis if we see more than 1 10 inch storm coming within a few days the city has a sub list that you can get on and they call on subs for public streets mainly side roads so the can stay on the main roads and get them cleared.

10. Yaz

Yaz PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

If you do roads and assuming your just as easy on equipment. My educated hypothesis would be that your truck mechanical would benefit from roads only. The down side would be that it would see more body frame and undercarriage salt and cutting edges wear out much faster.

Short term..faster payment and more cutting edges, watched or monitored buy city/town or state some by GPS radio

Long term..Rusty undercarriage, oil pans in fords rusted right thew on my friends truck.

Short term..longer payment cycle

Long term, more mechanical maintenance, freedom to work whenever and break when you want.
  11. crazymike

crazymike Senior Member
    from Toronto

Somewhat on the rust undercarriage, but the way I figure is most of us drive from site to site anyways. So we see the same salt. A good rust coating is required on any car.
  12. AintNoFun

AintNoFun Senior Member

how about the effects on the front end. wouldn't dropping the blade once and going be better on the front ends then raising the plow up and down dozens of times?
  13. Yaz

Yaz PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

With Rust I was thinking of a friend that plows the highways locally. Following sanders took a toll on his trucks. Rusted right threw his oil pan on a 4 year old F250.

As for lifting the blade more, your right... higher maintenance, front end work makes sense. I myself in 100K never wore out any front end or any suspension parts on my last two trucks. I can only hope my new truck is as good to me.
  14. Antnee77

Antnee77 PlowSite.com Addict
    from RI

It all depends where you live. Where I live, the city and state hires lots of subs. Basically, as long as you're good and willing, you can plow the streets. You'll get from $90 up per hour.
  15. pools&plowingct

pools&plowingct Member

the construction company i work for put 12 trucks out 3-4 with the state the rest wsith a big city but the city they plow the roads are STEEEPPP and fromw hat i have heard every truck got hit last yr and so did 2 drivers. they mostly hit the plows and mangled a few thats jsut another thing to worry about. also the liability insurance i believe in 3million policy.