1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Absolute best sidewalk snow blower?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by IMAGE, Jul 19, 2008.

1. IMAGE

IMAGE Sponsor

Hey Guys! :waving:
    Wow it's the middle of July and I am back on Plowsite! (hard to imagine that bidding starts in a few weeks too!) I learned alot last yr and made some ok payup, well looking to expand obviously so I am in the process off building a second plow truck (K5 blazer), and adding a sidewalk only crew also.

Anyway, this post is to find out what you guys have found to be the absolute best way to clear large amounts of sidewalks? (lets forget about if it could make $$ in the summer, I want the best tool for removing snow from sidewalks)

1. Is it a small tractor with a front mount blower? 20-30hp diesel 4x4. turf or ag tires? example- Kubota / New Holland
    2. A walker/navigater with a blower? (watched a walker in action clearing sidewalks last yr-- pretty efficient IMO)
    3. Or is it an ASV RC30 with a 4' blower?
    4. Sorry but Toolcats are out. (to wide @60", most condos/apts around here are -48")
    5. Or something else I am leaving out?
    I think the above would work great, but I want to do it right the first time. This would be a machine that is trailered from jobsite to jobsite, from 4 block condos up to large malls. The types of places you would be a (slow) fool to put a WB blower on.

Thanks guys! Enjoy your summer while its still here! :drinkup:

Last edited: Jul 19, 2008
  2. fulltiltwill

fulltiltwill Senior Member

walks

I don't know if it is the best but what works great for me is my polaris 500 with a cycle county 48" blade. I do a lot of city walks and straight long runs, but still works ok in smaller tight walks. Only thing is that you have to plow with the storm. It can handle up to 6" just fine. Plus with the spreader salting is a breeze.

3. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

Kubota F series with cab/heat with outfront blower saves a lot of time and moves snow when a 4 wheeler is left spinning its tires.

4. IMAGE

IMAGE Sponsor

Hey thanks fulltilt, but I will need a blower, can't use a plow in my application.

How do you like the outfront blower on a Kubota? Does it move as much snow as a rear 3pt would? I'm asking because my Kubota dealer says it's awesome, but I have never seen one while working.

Would you think the productivity is comparible to a skid with a blower?

Thanks!

5. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

It works awesome about 90% of the time. 2 years ago I was clearing miles of sidewalk with one and the snow was 4-5' deep and frozen heavy crap it clogged a lot and broke shear pins but it got the job done a lot faster than anything else could. A skid with a blower would def. be much faster but they can be to big for sidewalks a lot of time whereas the Kubota is about prefect.

6. IMAGE

IMAGE Sponsor

Which model are you using?

If I go with a skid it will be an ASV RC30 (30hp and 48" max width, so pretty small)

7. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

Im not sure on hand I will double check when I go to the shop tommorow.

8. IMAGE

IMAGE Sponsor

Cool Thanks Abes! :drinkup:

If anyone else has input it would be greatly appreciated before I drop 10-20k:help:

9. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

what about a toro dingo? realy manuverable.. and could be handy during the off season? What do you do during the summer time? try to make use of ur equiptment year round...

10. IMAGE

IMAGE Sponsor

I do lawn care and am getting into landscaping. I have use for any of the machines I mentioned during the summer, which is why I wanted to know which would be best for winter, because no matter what it will be used yr'round.

I almost laughed at you for suggesting the Dingo, until I looked it up on Toro's website. While I dont see this as a machine I would really want in the summer, I could use it some. It does look like a very good sidewalk snow machine. Do you use one? Does anyone else use one? The biggest draw back I see to it is the very slow ground speed 4.5 mph is the best I saw.

Thanks for the suggestion, it came out of left field for me, but it gives me more options which is great. :drinkup:

Last edited: Jul 20, 2008
  11. elite1msmith

from chicago

4- 5 mph is crazy fast for clearing snow, especially with a snow blower.... i dont think with any machine, that ull be doning over 2 mph,,

a plow is a different story... The only reason i suggested it, i have a few tracots with blades on them,..which work good... But i think that having the manuverablity , and visablity is way better, something small that you can walk behind, and get up close to doors, and steps,...

Iv never used one in the snow, but im sure it would work, they have a blower option....

If you only needed a plow, we use older walkbehind mowers, and turn them into plows... worked well last season,... i think the guys did a better job with those than with the tractors, because they were not being lazy and sitting on a seat

and a machine for summer?????? Have you ever used one? id say one of the most productive, versital peaces of equiptment that you could ever have... flat out , i rent them all the time, to the point i need to just buy one..

great for small patio jobs, ponds, Moving nature stone around, getting in and out of back yards, with out damaging the turf.... moving big trees around, leifting old dead trees out... LOADING MULCH in wheel barrows, intalling side walks. Fence posts. i could go on and on

Last edited: Jul 20, 2008
  12. IMAGE

IMAGE Sponsor

No I have never used one, but I say its not a machine I would want in the summer because i would rather have the RC30 vs Dingo in most summer situations. Still small enough but does just a little more. So if the RC30 and Dingo are similiar/same productivity in the winter, the RC would get a bit more use in the summer.

As for the speed. I dont mean the speed is a hinder for actual blowing, but for transport speed. Like when the sidewalks are across parking lots and decent distances away from each other (like a mall situation), where there is alot of moving time that is not actual use time.

13. elite1msmith

from chicago

gotcha, well sounds like a good machine yo have picked out

14. IMAGE

IMAGE Sponsor

I am not set on the ASV. If anyone has input comparing small tractors to small skids that would be cool.

15. Enzo

Enzo Senior Member

I use a 38 inch snow blower for the sidewalks. It can throw snow pretty nice, the only problem is loading and unloading it with the ramps.

16. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

We've used 2 F series for 10 years with a 5 ft power angle Kubota spring trip blade on them. We use to use 4 - wheelers but the guys couldn't run them for 12 hours straight. The Kubota's are very good in tight places and can carry alot of salt with a Snowex tailgate salter on the back. The blowers are much slower then a blade but area's in the snow belt will need a blower sometimes. You can find used F series fairly cheap unless you want to spend 20k new for this setup.

IM_A0101.jpg

17. QuadPlower

QuadPlower PlowSite.com Addict

I have a Suzuki mini truck with a blade on it. 4x4, heat, radio, 52” wide. You can see the truck at my web site listed below. It is the best sidewalk snow machine I have used, but you said you can't use a blade.

For the deeper snow I run a Kubota BX 2200 with a 50" front mounted snow blower. I also have a bucket, 3pt hitch rototiller, box blade, bush hog mower, sub soiler for it. Dollar for dollar it is better than the RC-30.

I love the RC-30. Have rented one a couple of times for summer landscape work prior to having the BX. Here is what I like: Joy stick controls, tracks, lifting capacity. Here is what I don't like: Climbing in the cab, visibility, tracks, how far the bucket tilts back.

With the BX you can climb in and out from either side. You can see EVERY thing around you. They claim the lifting capacity is only 400 pounds, but it will lift more and in my line of work if you need to lift more than 400 pounds, you use the skid steer.

Scenario: Snow blowing sidewalk. Look up a head and there is a hub cap laying on the snow. With BX I drive up to it, Stop (some times dis-engage the blower) jump off the seat, walk to the hub cap, and toss it of the sidewalk, walk back, sit down and get going. With the RC every thing is the same, except you had better shut down the blower because you have to climb over it to get out. And it takes longer to do so.

If you can afford the RC. I would look at the snow blower for it. Is it ALL hydraulic or are there chains and shear pins. Is there a hydraulic pump in back to run the blower and another one on the side to run the auger? Or one pump in back and a chain or gear box to run the auger? Does it look solid enough? I guarantee you that you will be welding some part that is not strong enough to do all the work you want it to do. Do they offer a High flow hydraulic system. You will be pumping hydrauilc fluid for 8 hours (or as long as the job takes) so it might get hot. BX is PTO driven so that is not an issue.

If its all hydraulic and you like the RC and you can afford it, then I would get it. If it is not all hydraulic and your budget is a little lower, I would definitely look at the BX by Kubota.

18. QuadPlower

QuadPlower PlowSite.com Addict

JD Dave, Those are nice machines. Do you use them for mowing also? I have considered them for both mowing and plowing for my landscape business.

It could have been the operator, but my BX with a blower ran circles around another guy with a blower in the F series last winter. I also think the steel on his shoot on the left side was bent, because he would go forward and it would slide to the right. Just what I saw.

19. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

JD that looks exactly like the one ive used. The blower is def slower than a blade but we have 2 4 wheelers with blades so the kubota is only used when the snow is really deep or drifted. we also have a power angle broom that we can use when there is a couple inches of snow its also usefull for cleaning sand from the grass in the spring. In the summer we have an aerator and a mower attachment for the front its got a lot of different uses.

20. elite1msmith

from chicago

nice looking unit, iv used a deer 1445, those frount mounts work great