1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

ABS Wheel Sensor

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by AFM Contracting, Dec 13, 2006.

1. AFM Contracting

AFM Contracting Member

Im looking for informaiton on the ABS wheel sensor that causes the ABS to turn on when I am crawling to a stop with my foot on the brake pedal.

I was told that I can clean it and that could possibly solve the problem.

Where is it?

How do I get to it?

Has anyone done this before?

2. lawnmasters2006

lawnmasters2006 Senior Member

my truck did the same darn thing,i hated it :angry:
    i went through an clened the sensors an re[laced two of them...did the same crap..
    know how i fixed it? un hooked it no abs ...i was worried about hitting some one it down when it kicked in,it sucked..just my 2 cents....by the way it was a 98 chevy

3. lawnmedic

lawnmedic Senior Member

Follow the wire running down into the hub assembly. It is bolted in there. They had a recall on my wifes 01 Yukon for corrosion on sensor. Took the dealer 30 min to clean both fronts.

4. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

Known issues with Chevy. They do have new assemblies that correct this for .... $600 a side not including hardware.

Take it to a brake shop they charge about $90 to break both wheels down to clean, adjust and seal the sensors. The dealer usually charges $150.

Or just take the fust for the ABS out. I did this for several months with what I thought was better braking.

5. AFM Contracting

AFM Contracting Member

I guess thats not a bad idea... only thing is ill have to pump the brakes and maybe i'll do the maintinance in the spring. thanks for the help guys

6. DJ Contracting

DJ Contracting PlowSite.com Addict

Have it checked out, It could be and prob, is one of your front hubs. had it happen to me and relaced one hub @ the cost of $165 from Carquest.

7. AFM Contracting

AFM Contracting Member

what do you mean a front hub? like the locker part? not too sure I follow. Either way wont pulling the ABS fuse fix this? if it is a front hub will that cause problems with my 4x4 / diff? Thanks

8. DJ Contracting

Your front hub assem is just inside the brake rotor. You can check this at home with a simple floor jack just raise up the frontend and grab the tire from top and bottom and wiggle it their should not be any play in it.

9. AFM Contracting

AFM Contracting Member

great thanks, ill check it tonight... but if it is will it have an effect on my 4x4 / diff ect?

10. DJ Contracting

It will not affect your 4x4 however you should have it replaced, again if you buy the part from a parts store and find a auto tech that works on the side you should be able to have it replace for $250 - $300. I wouldn't go with out my ABS.

11. Zippy

Zippy Junior Member

I am not sure if it is the same on the fullsize but I know on the S series the fornt "hub" is a sealed unit.....front wheel bearing that includes the ABS sensor. You can just pull the fuse (I think 60 amp) to shut down the ABS pump. It will turn on the ABS light on your dash until it is fixed though.

Kevin

12. Offroadz71

Offroadz71 Member

Report Your Problems To The Goverment

:realmad: I hate Chevy for this reason. They did a recall on those ABS sensors prior to the 98 versions, Then after reporting this to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, GM came out with the recall starting on 1999 vehicles. And Trust me I begged GM to replace this because my truck at the time was blowing lights and it hit my garage as well, and better yet, I ONLY HAD 48,000 miles on factory warranty and they refused to replace it thus my years had expired. BUT WAIT GM, THIS CORROSION PROBLEM DIDN"T JUST HAPPEN IN THE PAST WEEK. . :gunsfiring: Thanks GM :gunsfiring: . I guess GM didn't get enough pressure from NHTSA to have a mandatory recall. For This reason only, I feel that Ford may be the better product but after all those early retirements, and lay-offs and factory closings, Not Sure what to buy now!!!!:realmad:

13. john95chevy

john95chevy Junior Member

my 2000 gmc did the same thing i unpluged the abs unit (under truck near drivers seat) taped the wires then i took the abs bulb out of the dash
    i love not having abs i think it causes more accidents than it prevents if you know how to drive you dont need it. on some new models abs is a option oncer again just like it was in the early 90s