1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

ABS speed sensor

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by 06Sierra, Sep 11, 2010.

1. 06Sierra

06Sierra PlowSite.com Addict
    from Maine

Earlier this year my wife's 04 Yukon started having the typical GM ABS problem. When moving at about 5mph and you hit the brakes the ABS kicks on for no reason. Yesterday I finally got a chance to replace the front brakes. We went to pull out one of the sensors to check it and clean it up. As soon as we started to pull it out we noticed that the plastic is cracked and staying inside of the hub. What is the best way to get the plastic peice out when I get the new sensors?

This thing had 45,000 miles on it when we bought it 5 years ago, it has 102,000 now. I replaced the rear brakes last year. I have to replace an inner tie rod end when I do the abs sensors. Other than the normal maintenance that is the only work I have done to this thing. Hard to complain about that!

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

I've had good success with running a self tapping screw into the remaining piece and tug on it with a mini slide hammer. Vice grips and two opposing screwdrivers to pry on the vice grips are a good substitute for the mini slide hammer if you don't have access to one.

Second option if the screw won't hold is to dig at it with a screwdriver, working it up out in pieces.

Option three is to replace the wheel bearing unit.

3. 06Sierra

06Sierra PlowSite.com Addict
    from Maine

Thanks BB. I think I am going with option 3 and replace both sides. I plan on keeping the vehicle for a couple more years. The bearings are bound to go sometime. From what I have read, cleaning the mating surface and replacing the sensor doesn't always fix the abs problem.

4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Certainly nothing wrong with replacing the hub units with 100K on the clock already if you don't mind the cost and you plan to hang onto it for a while. :salute:

5. buddymanzpop

buddymanzpop Senior Member

Go with Timken, cheap hubs are a waste of labor.

6. brad96z28

brad96z28 PlowSite.com Addict

U can usually get a pick behind the plastic and work ur way around it and comes out in a bout 2 seconds. Do several of these a week. Bearings as well. We always save used sensors from bad hubs for this reason.Its around 50 bucks for a cheap china pos sensor from a parts store.