1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

abs problems

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by wendell, Mar 6, 2010.

1. wendell

wendell Junior Member

2001 f-150
    abs light on at start-up and stays on, code 1206 (inlet valve coil rear circuit failure) and code 1230 (speed wheel sensor rear center input circuit failure), i have changed the rear sensor twice (got them from work free) no change. code 1206 i don't know what it really mean. can any one help?

2. mrv8outboard

mrv8outboard Senior Member

C1206 / C1208 Isolation Valve , Rear

1st Carry out ABS Control Module On-Demand Self-Test.

Is a single valve DTC set?
    YES
    INSTALL a new anti-lock brake control module (2B373). REFER to Anti-Lock Brake System (ABS) Module in this section. REPEAT the self-test.

NO
    If multiple valve DTCs are set, GO to D2 .

If no DTCs are set, CLEAR the DTCs. DRIVE the vehicle over rough roads and through a car wash. REPEAT the self-test.

D2 CHECK EHCU POWER CIRCUIT 532 (OG/YE)
    Measure the voltage between EHCU C146 Pins 9 and 25, circuit 532 (OG/YE), harness side and ground.

Is the voltage greater than 10 volts?

YES
    INSTALL a new anti-lock brake control module. REFER to Anti-Lock Brake System (ABS) Module in this section. REPEAT the self-test.

NO
    REPAIR the circuit. CLEAR the DTCs. DRIVE the vehicle over rough roads and through a car wash. REPEAT the self-test.

C1230 Rear Anti-Lock Brake Sensor (Electrical/Static)

Drive the vehicle at least 16 km/h (10 mph).
    Retrieve and document continuous DTCs.

Is DTC C1230 retrieved?

YES
    GO to I2 .

I2 CHECK ANTI-LOCK BRAKE SENSOR COIL RESISTANCE AT EHCU CONNECTOR

Connect EEC-IV 60-Pin Breakout Box.

Measure the resistance between EEC-IV 60-Pin Breakout Box pin 14, circuit 523 (RD/PK) and pin 6, circuit 519 (LG/BK).

Is the resistance between 800 and 3500 ohms?

YES
    GO to I4

NO
    If the resistance is below 800 ohms, INSTALL a new rear anti-lock brake sensor. REFER to Sensor—Rear in this section. CLEAR the DTCs. DRIVE the vehicle over rough roads and through a car wash. REPEAT the self-test.

If the resistance is greater than 3500 ohms, GO to I3 .

I3 DETERMINE LOCATION OF FAULT

Measure the resistance between the rear anti-lock brake sensor pin 1 and pin 2.

Is the resistance greater than 2500 ohms?

YES
    REPLACE the rear anti-lock brake sensor. REFER to Sensor—Rear in this section.

NO
    REPAIR circuit 519 (LG/BK) and circuit 523 (RD/PK).

I4 CHECK REAR ANTI-LOCK BRAKE SENSOR CIRCUIT FOR SHORT TO GROUND

Measure the resistance between EEC-IV 60-Pin Breakout Box pin 14, circuit 523 (RD/PK) and ground, and between EEC-IV 60-Pin Breakout Box pin 6, circuit 519 (LG/BK) and ground.

Are the resistances greater than 10,000 ohms?

YES
    GO to I6 .

NO
    GO to I5 .

I5 CHECK FOR ANTI-LOCK BRAKE SENSOR SHORT

Measure the resistance between rear anti-lock brake sensor pin 1 and ground; and between rear anti-lock brake sensor pin 2 and ground.

Are the resistances greater than 10,000 ohms?

YES
    REPAIR circuit 519 (LG/BK) and circuit 523 (RD/PK). CLEAR the DTCs. DRIVE the vehicle over rough roads and through a car wash. REPEAT the self-test.

NO
    INSTALL a new rear anti-lock brake sensor; REFER to Sensor—Rear in this section. CLEAR the DTCs. DRIVE the vehicle over rough roads and through a car wash. REPEAT the self-test.

I6 TEST FOR INTERMITTENT ANTI-LOCK BRAKE SENSOR FAULT

Carry out the Sensor Failure test for the rear anti-lock brake sensor. REFER to Component Test — Intermittent Failures.

Did the rear anti-lock brake sensor pass?

Yes
    RECONNECT the rear anti-lock brake sensor C414. CLEAR the DTCs. DRIVE the vehicle over rough roads and through a car wash. REPEAT the self-test.

No
    REPAIR as necessary. CLEAR the DTCs. DRIVE the vehicle over rough roads and through a car wash. REPEAT the self-test.

Component Test — Intermittent Failures

1 Sensor

Disconnect the suspect anti-lock brake sensor

NOTE: Use 88 Digital Multimeter with the minimum resistance hold feature enabled for this test.

Monitor the resistance between pins and ground as follows

Rear anti-lock brake sensor 523 (RD/PK) and 519 (LG/BK)

Drive over rough roads at various speeds.
    If there is continuity between either circuit and ground, repair the circuit for a short to ground.

2 Check harness for open circuit.
    NOTE: Connect jumper securely to the suspect sensor connector.

Connect a jumper between the two pins on the suspect sensor connector.
    NOTE: Use 88 Digital Multimeter with the maximum resistance hold feature enabled for this test.

Monitor the resistance between pins as follows:
    Rear anti-lock brake sensor 523 (RD/PK) and 519 (LG/BK)

Drive over rough roads at various speeds.
    If there is open circuit detected between pins, repair the circuit(s) for an open circuit.

3 Check suspect sensor electrical connector.
    NOTE: Use 88 Digital Multimeter with the maximum resistance hold feature enabled for this test.

Monitor the resistance between suspect anti-lock brake sensor terminals while wiggling the electrical connector:

Rear
    4x2 or 4x4 3500 ohms

If the resistance is above specifications, install a new anti-lock brake sensor.
    NOTE: Use 88 Digital Multimeter with the minimum resistance hold feature enabled for this test.

Monitor the resistance between suspect anti-lock brake sensor pins (component side) while wiggling the electrical connector:

Rear
    4x2 or 4x4 800 ohms

If the resistance is below specifications, install a new anti-lock brake sensor.

Monitor the resistance between an anti-lock brake sensor pin (component side) and ground on the highest resistance scale of the meter, while wiggling the electrical connector.
    If the meter shows anything but open circuit, install a new anti-lock brake sensor.

Hope this helps. Let us know how you make out.