1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

ABS Problem

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by kbsnow, Feb 13, 2010.

1. kbsnow

kbsnow Senior Member
    from Chicago

The driver side front caliper was stuck, so we replaced the caliper. We then noticed the ABS light came on and there was pulsating from that side. I disconnected the ABS sensor, and braking went back to normal, but no ABS on driver side. I replaced the ABS sensor, and now it is SO HARD to push the pedal and make the truck stop...scared me to death...almost hit a parked car. Disconnecvted driver side sensor and the ABS light is on again but the pedal returned to normal. Could this be the ABS pump not working on driver side? If not, any ideas?

Thanks

2. Pierce Man

Pierce Man Junior Member

Im going through the same problem right now with the same truck you have...I had a new master cylinder pads and rotors put on thinking it would fix it but it did not. Took it to a different shop the rotor was not sitting on the studs all the way, fixed that and it made it alot better but this guy said to replace the left front speed sensor which is in the hub. I will let you know tomorrow if it works.

3. kbsnow

kbsnow Senior Member
    from Chicago

Well, we decided to take it to a shop who checked out the codes. It did identify that we disconnected the driver side sensor, so we plugged it in. He reset the codes and some how reset the system. Brakes and ABS work like they are supposed to. Whew, great learning experience.

Tomorrow we are takling a steering column for a 94 Chevy. We are installint a tilt wheel column; the truck currently doesn't have a tilt wheel.

4. the_experience

the_experience Member

What year truck was it? I'm just curious what ABS system is had on it. I don't remember ever having to rehome the motors on any Chevy trucks. The ones that are the biggest pain in the ass are the old Kelsey-Hayes RWAL systems. Of course with those you could just disconnect the harness to the EBCM and the system was disabled and the light was off...

5. kbsnow

kbsnow Senior Member
    from Chicago

It was a 98 Tahoe. We had to remove the backing plate to replace the sensor.