1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

ABS preventative maintenance

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by wyldman, May 23, 2003.

1. wyldman

wyldman Member

I am posting this here as it may help a lot of members who have similar GM trucks.Even if they don;t have a problem,this can be done as preventative maintenance.

We recently had a 97 Suburban in the shop for an intermittant ABS problem.The ABS would kick in when stopping gently even though no wheel lockup occured.After numerous checks,and road tests with the scanner attached,I could find no real cause of the problem.After some tech help with IATN,I found cleaning the rust out from under the sensors solved the problem.The rust builds up and pushes the sensor slightly away from the tone wheel in the hub\bearing assy,which increases the air gap and lowers sensor output,especially at low speeds,when the problem occurs.ABS operation was also very abrupt and jerky.

This is a relativly easy fix,and a lot of techs I spoke with regarding this problem,now remove the sensors and clean the rust as a preventative measure when doing maintenance,like a brake service.

It's not a hard job at all.Remove the wheel and tire assy,then use a 3/8 hex to remove the caliper bolts.Set the caliper out of the way and slide the rotor off the hub.Remove the upper hub mounting bolt using a 14 mm deep socket through one of the hole in the hub face.Loosen the front hub mounting bolt just enough to rotate the brake splash shield forward to access the sensor.Undo the one allen bolt holding sensor in place and gently rotate and pull sensor out of hub.Clean the mounting surface of all rust and corrosion (use sandpaper or a small file) and smear grease onto sensor and mounting surface.Reinstall sensor and components in reverse order of removal.Don't forget to lube caliper slides and bolts too.Install wheels and torque to spec.

ABS problems have been solved,and the ABS is now much smoother when in operation.Many thanks to the members of IATN network,and Chuck Smith for the original link to IATN.

2. Arc Burn

Arc Burn PlowSite.com Addict

Great info Chris,i just bookmarked that thread,Thanks:waving: