1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

abs light

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by t.i.b, Jan 31, 2009.

1. t.i.b

t.i.b Senior Member

anyone know how to figure out witch sensor is setting off the abs light? the truck is a 02 2500hd, 496/allison.

2. Mike N

Mike N Senior Member

Hook it up to a scanner.

3. Indy

Indy Senior Member

I think there is a service bulletin for it.........they replace both sensors on my front wheels

4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

The easiest/best way would be with a scanner. Not a code reader either as a code reader won't have access to ABS fault codes.

But a homebrew method is to activate the ABS by doing a panic stop on loose ground...somewhere where you can attempt to lock both the front and rear tires, thus activating the BS. When doing this you should feel the truck pull in one direction if it's a front sensor. And generally its that direction that will have the weak sensor signal. But of course the scanner is much more accurate for diagnosis by far.

For some unknown reasons on the HD series trucks it always seems to be the right hand wheel sensors that give problems. I repair far more right hand sensors than the lefts.

And be forward many times it isn;t the sensor itself that is faulty. In many cases it's a rust/corrosion build up on the sensors mounting surface on the wheel hub assembly. The rust build up causes a condition where the sensor is lifted up slightly out of the hub assembly causing it to loose it reference to the bearing mounted tone ring. So in many cases there's no need to replace the sensor, simply removing it and cleaning the rust from the mounting surfaces restores proper operation.

5. t.i.b

t.i.b Senior Member

thanks b&b. any special process for cleaning them. are they easy to get at? does right = passenger side? im nver sure if people sitting in or looking at the truck for right/left.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2009
  6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Correct, right = passenger side.

To get to the wheel sensor just pull the caliper, caliper bracket and rotor.

Then simply remove the single allen head (usually) bolt from the sensor and gently pull it up out of the hub unit. Then just scrap the mounting surface clean with a razor blade or small screwdriver...but before you do be sure to plug the open hole with something or else any debris that you scrap off will get into the wheel bearing assembly. I use a small wooden dowel rod. Place a little grease on the mounting flange before you re-install the sensor to help combat future corrosion.

It's a simple procedure so you could always just go ahead and do both sides before going through with more (possibly needed) diagnosis. And it's actually a good idea to do this procedure regardless at every brake job as preventative maintenance on trucks in the rust belt.

7. Clint S

Clint S Senior Member

My ABS kept coming on at slow speeds. I got so sick of replacing and or cleaning mine I just took the fuse out. I had a few break when I tried to get them out. I just gave up.

8. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Thats cheating. :D

Mine has had a blown ABS fuse since shorty after I purchased the truck. Hmm wonder how that got in there? ;) :blush2:

9. t.i.b

t.i.b Senior Member

one more thing. after ive been driving( 5 min or so) the (p)! brake light comes on. brake fluids full and the brakes work fine any thoghts?

10. augerandblade

augerandblade PlowSite.com Addict

I got tired off mine coming on my Chev 3500HD dually, I covered it up with my oil change sticker. Now Im never of the miles for a oilchange and the brakes have always been working fine.tymusicussmileyflag

11. Clint S

Clint S Senior Member

Black electrical tape on my dash light, works like a champ.

12. RichG53

RichG53 PlowSite.com Addict

Why not fix the problem then cover it up ??? That is senseless..Those sensors were put on there for a reason... I don't believe in band aids,wire or tape .. Just fix it with the right part(s)...

13. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

ABS in itself is a band aid....for incompetent drivers. :D

14. augerandblade

augerandblade PlowSite.com Addict

Cuz Im over 50 so my thinking changes, im balding so I appreciate hats more, Im grossly over weight so I changed my music tastes from country to rap so I could look like my "hereos". But seriously you are correct:jester:

15. Clint S

Clint S Senior Member

Since 2001 I have been through 2 sets of sensors, new wheel bearings all around and cleaning them every brake job, (you really cannot clean the inside of hub well). I gave up. Rather than buy a new hub every time (and those just go bad too) I got sick of fixing a problem that would not go away. On these trucks the abs system is JUNK. I would rather drive with no ABS than risk the chance of it kicking on at any moment at slow speeds and rear end somebody. I asked 2 different Chevy techs and they said the same thing, keep replacing the hubs or pull the fuse. I know 6 people with these trucks 4 have went through hell and pulled the fuses, 1 replaced the sensors under warranty and has been fine and 1 has no problems at all.

16. saynow

saynow Junior Member

I have had nothing but problems with this exact issue as well. I have taken them all apart and cleaned them up good only to experience the same problem 2 weeks later. Question is: where is the fuse located to remove to rid this problem completely? I have a 2000 gmc 3/4 ton ccsb. Thanks!

17. Clint S

Clint S Senior Member

Mine was in the under hood fuse box. I think a big 60 amp fuse. THE ONLY PROBLEM WITH THIS is that your abs and brake light come on and stay on. If you have a computerized info center you get a message and a buzzer for about 1 minutes (did on my buddies avalanche). In NY it does not matter if that light is on it will pass inspection

18. Mike N

Mike N Senior Member

I pulled the fuse and the antilock bulb from the dash of my 98 K1500. Problem solved.

Come to think of it I've disabled the abs on every abs equipped car I've ever owned. I do not and never will like abs.