1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

ABS light?

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by JCPM, Oct 21, 2011.

1. JCPM

JCPM Senior Member
    from CT

I have an 2005 F350 and the ABS light comes on at random times then shuts off for no reason at all. Anyone else have this problem?

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Happens when I plow a lot. I like it when it goes off and I'm still plowing. check with the dealer if you bought it new it may still be under warranty.

3. JCPM

JCPM Senior Member
    from CT

Nah, I've been out of warranty for about a year. I know when you have a bad battery or insufficient charging the ABS light is the first to go on. But mine goes off and on just from normal driving. Both batteries are fairly new and the alternator is charging fine. I guess I'm gonna figure it out during the first heavy snow storm.....

4. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Had mine replaced outside of warranty ,I'd still call them.

5. tawilson

tawilson Senior Member

My 06 does it too. Seems to be moisture related.

6. damian

damian Senior Member

need to scan it,likely one of the front speed sensors.

7. JCPM

JCPM Senior Member
    from CT

It did this a few times last winter then went away. It started again last week and my rear brakes started making noise. I found that one of the pads was down to metal. So I replaced the pads on all 4 wheels and the rear discs. I have just under 50k miles on the truck and I'm on my second set of brakes. The front discs were replaced at 25k. Do you think one of the pads going down that far could have caused a failure in the ABS system? I don't know ANYTHING about ABS.

8. coldcoffee

coldcoffee Senior Member

last fall when my buddy and I were rebuilding the front axle & doing brakes on my 03, he busted the sensor on the wheel. I wasn't interested in buying a new assembly for $300, when I already knew all my brakes were good. A piece of black electrical tape over the light fixed the problem just fine. Also, I don't need a light to tell me when my pads are getting thin, I can always tell when they first start to grind, or when I just check them periodically. Pads are relatively inexpensive & easy to replace, the rest of the assembly not so much.

Also, always make sure you clean the pins real good on your calipers, those need to slide...I like to lube them a bit also.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2011
  9. Chris112lee

Chris112lee Member

That sensor doesn't tell you when your pads are getting thin. lol

You just disabled your antilock brakes.

10. coldcoffee

coldcoffee Senior Member

Your right, guess I was thinking about the time I blew out a break caliper cylinder. The light wasn't necessary though, I figured out really fast what had happened.:D Either the machinist turned the rotors too tight or the Chinese metal couldn't take the heat before it split & disintegrated, probably both.