1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

ABS light on

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by jayman3, Mar 21, 2009.

1. jayman3

jayman3 Senior Member

I have a 05 F350 Dually 4x4,and while driving today my abs light came on,when it came on my speedo dropped to zero and then back up to the speed,got to my destination turned the truck off then went and left th elight was off,drove for about three hrs then it came on again.Could it just be a sensor:help:
  2. dellwas

dellwas Senior Member

Your's is a lot newer than mine ( '97). However, it may well be a VSS (Variable Speed Sensor). It sits forward on the rear axle and senses speed of the axle and trips the ABS if something is out of whack, and one of the symptoms is a whacky speedo. Common problem on my generation of truck, but again, your's may be different. Also, check your fuse circuit chart to see if there is a fuse or relay that relates to the ABS circuit. If so check the fuse to see if it is snug, or maybe even replace it to see if it makes a difference.

3. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

4. jayman3

jayman3 Senior Member

Thanks guys I did a look up on the net looks like the VSS sensor,will get one tomorrow,has the symptoms ,whacky speedo ,cruise cutting out,sounds like it is a simple change.:salute:
  5. dellwas

dellwas Senior Member

No problem, on the '97 it takes about 1/2 hour. Biggest thing is prying it out of the case as it's a press fit, with 2 rubber sealing washers. A shot of brake cleaner and it was much easier. Last one is very maintenance specific, with videos.

Here are some links to Ford specific forums. You may find them useful, I sure do tymusic

Last edited: Mar 23, 2009