1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

ABS Brakes

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by RichG53, Oct 3, 2009.

1. RichG53

RichG53 PlowSite.com Addict

Is there any way to tell if my ABS brakes are working right ???? I had to stop all of a sudden on wet pavement and felt the brakes lock a little and tires slide a little so I don't know if they are working ....... THANKS ! ! ! !

2. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

Is your ABS light on? Is your ABS fuse blown/not in place?

3. RichG53

No light i believe fuse is ok ....I was just wondering maybe every thing bipassed the computer... Not letting me know if it is working or on .....

4. Q101ATFD

Q101ATFD Senior Member

If they just slid a little, they're working. If they weren't working, you would have made a post titled "Wrecked my truck the other day."

The ABS system compares the speed of each wheel, and only knows to engage when one wheel is going slower than another - when it starts to skid.

5. RichG53

Well there was no one in front of me .....I just don't hear the sound the ABS makes when being activated so that is why I was wondering if they are working. ??????

6. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Better to have no ABS anyway for plowing.

7. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Head down a gravel road at 30-40 MPH and stand on the brake pedal. If the pedal feels like the foot rest on a Harley at idle then the ABS is working just fine. :D

8. RichG53

First I don't own a Harley:laughing: But I will give it a try .... I will let you know what happens ...
    Thanks ! !