1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

ABS brakes are your worst nightmare.

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by snowfighterG, Feb 19, 2003.

1. snowfighterG

snowfighterG Member

Ever get that shuttering and the truck has no brakes. I have a 2001 Chevy p/u with a 7.5 Fisher and when that happens it doesn't want to stop and I have had alot of close calls and we have had a few minor hits because of it. No matter how hard you push on the pedal there are no brakes especially when you just back bladed, anyone ever have this happen to them? The abs light comes on and sometimes it takes 10 or 15 seconds for it to shut off. Is this a common problem in Chevys?

2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

On my '90 Dodge the ABS light comes on when I hook up the plow, meaning the ABS is not working. I always just figured this was what it was supposed to do.

3. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

I have had those close calls with my '97 since i got it i hate the ABS we paid more because it has it but it has almost got me in more accidents than my old '85 that did not have them .That should be an option like limited slip .You could shave another $1K off the price i bet.

4. Mr_Roboto

Mr_Roboto Member

Here's my opinion, ABS is made for higher speed (over say 30 mph). It's just a hazzard in our occupation with lower speeds. I hate that "just won't stop" feeling. Ford SuperDuty's the rear ABS can be disabled by pulling the fuse, although then the ABS light comes on.

5. long0

long0 Senior Member

I removed the fuse under the hood on my '96 2500. The ABS light was always on, but eventually the bulb burned out. Now if I could just figure out where the ABS fuse is on my '01 HD.

6. snowfighterG

snowfighterG Member

pulling the fuse

Does anyone know if the fuse can be pulled on Chevys? I'll take a light over that I can't stop feeling anyday!

7. 66Construction

66Construction Senior Member

wow, 10 -15 seconds sounds like a long time. I believe you can have the abs turned off. I have an 02 2500 hd and the abs comes on sometimes but it goes right off after a few seconds. I cary and 8' or 9' plow and a v box.
    Casey

BTW my insurance agent told me you are 70% more likely to be killed in an accident with a vehicle equioped with abs brakes due to un-educate control of the brakes. He's also the one who said you can have it turned off

8. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping Senior Member

am i the only one who likes abs? i dont really seem to have the problem you guys are stating. i have mashed the brakes and the abs kicks in several times and it definately helps slow me down. without abs, i wouldve been in a number of accidents already.its definately a big help on ice as well in my opinion.