1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

ABS Brake problem on my truck, any ideas??

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Midwest, Nov 19, 2005.

1. I have a 2001 chevy dually cc. It has sat all year since plowing last year. I'm getting her ready to go and this strange problems pops up.

Right before the truck stops, I get the abs kicking in on the left front. Its only within the last 8 feet of stopping and doesn't matter what the speed was. I can feel the brake pedal pulsate and the truck pulls slightly to the left. this is why I beleive its the left due to right wheel braking constant and pulling me to the right.

Sorry if this was a little confusing, I'm on my first cup of coffee:drinkup:

2. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

I think you eather have rust or oil on your brake rotors.
    clean them with some cleaner and then go make a few hard stops that should clean them up.

3. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

My truck did the same thing, and I put up with it for years, just didnt bother me anymore after a while. Any time anybody else drove my truck it would freak them out, though. I just recently replaced the front pads and rotors, so that was a perfect opportunity to fix it once and for all. What is causing your problem is the wheel speed sensor. They get a little corrosion in there and they cant read the wheel speed right, so it slaps on the ABS, thinking that your wheels are going two different speeds. You can replace it if you want, but really all you should need to do is take it off, clean in there with a small file to make good contact and then put it back on. Piece of cake. I wish I had done mine a long time ago.

4. Wow

I have the same problem too, but i fixed it a slightly different way>.....I just pulled the abs fuse under the hood :dizzy: hey it worked, i just dont have abs anymore. Yeah, mine was really annoying too, but i dealt with it, the problem that i ran into was the first time i went plowing, it would kick on in reverse ALLLLLL the time and i couldnt stop worth crap!

5. basset

basset Junior Member

My 02 1500 did the same thing. Dealer cleaned the sensors and it fixed the problem. Gm finally came out with a recall this year. Hope this helps...

6. I really appreciate all the reply's. I just got in from replacing the rotors and pads with new, they needed it anyway. I was hoping that would fix the problem, but it didn't. I checked all the wiring for the speed sensors but did not see any problem. I figured it was a speed sensor but didn't know for sure. On my truck, the wires go directly into the "HUB", I did not see the actual sensor otherwise I could have pulled and cleaned it. Any ideas on how to get to the sensor???

I really appreciate the help thus far guys:drinkup:

7. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

I did the hubs with the brakes, because I had a wheel bearing gone. Thats the only way to do it, you have to replace the whole hub, no more individual wheel bearings. I thought you could do the speed sensor without changing the hub though. you could try sliding it off enough to get at it. Just pull the caliper, take off the big axle nut (35 mm) and slide it out a few inches. Should be able to get at it.

8. DJ Contracting

DJ Contracting PlowSite.com Addict

Check your dealer

Recall they just did mine under the recall call your dealer.

9. Robhollar

Robhollar Senior Member

Find someone with a scan tool that is able to look at your data stream. I have a feeling you have a wheel speed sensor that went belly up!!!!!...Rob

10. Antnee77

Antnee77 PlowSite.com Addict
    from RI

It's actually really funny you brought this up. Today I went to a local used dealer to test out a 97 GMC and the same thing happened: every time I slowed down to 5-10 MPH, the pedal would go to the floor and the brakes would pulsate. It made for some really awkward stops and it was hard to handle. I took the truck back to the dealer and he said he knew all about it and that it was the ABS sensor which must have gotten grease on it. What an idiot.

11. This is obviously one of them problems that you never hear about unless it happens to you. I'm gonna call the dealer on monday and see if there is a recall on mine....

Thanks for all the help guys:drinkup:

12. I checked on Alldata and it showed that this was a recall, but guess what, My VIN number was in the list. But the truck was well within all other parameters to get the recall. I called the dealer and he so NO it was not covered. I called GM, and after a very lengthy phone conversation, I was to have the dealer diagnose the problem. If it was the same type problem then GM "MIGHT" cover it. So I was at the dealer yesterday for 3 hours, turns out I needed an entire new hub, due to the speed sensor breaking off inside the hub. $600 just for the hub without labor costs. They did not have the part in stock and he could not get ahold of GM for approval. They put me back together and I was on my way.

So I get a call around 7pm last night and its GM:confused: Lisa is calling me back (sexy voice), she has talked to the dealer and GM will pay for the entire repair!!!!!:yow!:

13. ChEc0

ChEc0 Member

i had a recall on my 2000 2500 and deal put a new one in

14. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

I've been dealing with the ABS since I got my truck in '97. Every year I take it in, they clean and seal the sensor and away I go. Half way during the winter it goofs up again and I have terrible braking. $600 a wheel to upgrade/fix. II like recall - probably to old. I'm still after them for delamination issues.