1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

about too purchase 7.5

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by scootz52, Nov 29, 2001.

1. scootz52

scootz52 Junior Member

Hello all, new user and plower. I have read and searched many areas, but i wish to ask.
    What is the best plow for my 83 Chevy C-30 dually 4x4? Seems that a 7.5 is too small? form posts. OOh yea and i plan to join SIMA
    thanks

2. JD PLOWER

JD PLOWER PlowSite.com Veteran

9 footer. You have to cover that wheelbase. Edit: Is'nt that a K-30 (4x4) I'm a ford guy so I'm just curious?

Last edited: Nov 29, 2001
  3. alfman

alfman Junior Member

You can use a 7.5 just put a set of wings on it.A 7.5 plow is more common and usally cheaper than a 8 or 9' blade. I did that on a couple of dumps I used to have and it works pretty good.Plus the wings are pitched forward so it helps with trailoff.

4. 75

75 PlowSite.com Addict

You're right JD, 4wd Chev/Gmc trucks are "K" series, 2wd are "C" series.

IMO, a 7.5 is too narrow for a dually, especially if it's a dually pickup which uses the w-i-d-e rear axle.

8 foot will work, 8.5 or 9 foot blade is better. You need to clear a wide enough path that your rear tires won't be riding in the unplowed snow. While the 7.5 may work going straight ahead, it'll be a little narrow for any kind of a turn. Besides, that "tonner" truck will push lots of snow, so take advantage of it - the wider plow lets you take a bigger "bite" each pass.

5. scootz52

scootz52 Junior Member

Thank you for the reply's. I hope that the 7.5 with wings will suffice. Im doing only a couple of small res properties and 4-10 to 15 spot commercial lots? the 7.5 is much cheaper and avail. any others require a new purchase at this point. Also the truck is a C-30. The dually and 4x4 are both options on this truck. (you can check on kellybluebook.com)Brought back from VA.

6. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

Well good luck with the 7.5 but grab a 8.5 or 9' if you can especially if it's a 2wd your tires will alwasy be in the snow fereals that your plows leaves behind.

7. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

I think he is right I have seen 4x4 C series.

I also agree that you should go up to a bigger plow. You can always buy this one and just get a bigger blade.

8. slplow

slplow PlowSite.com Veteran

I too would go with a 8.5 or 9 ft. The 7.5 is to small. Wings are good for pushing but not so good for back draging.

9. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

4x4 has always been K series. Look at the vin code and my bet is that the 7th letter (or there abouts)is a K.
    Dino

10. scootz52

scootz52 Junior Member

thanks again for all the great info! After sleeping on it i've decided the group answer is what i should use. I think this company should have helped me with this decision instead of pushing for a large dep oin a blade thats TOO small for my C-30
    I'll see what else is avail with so little time in MI.
    IN additon, I have double checked my vin (all c no k)and original window sticker with all options from new purchase of 1983 Chevy C-30 w/Scottsdale pkge. though if anyone wants to bet a 8.5-9.0 footer i'd be happy to prove. (lol)
    scootz

11. slplow

slplow PlowSite.com Veteran

Scootz, what brands of plows are you looking at? I know around here in east there are plenty of plows around and we had a real good winter last winter.

12. scootz52

scootz52 Junior Member

well i'm looking at a Meyer it's a little older.
    I've been looking here in M.I. for a Couple of months. not much used new too $$ 3000-4000.

13. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

Scootz,

Go down to the local auto parts store and try to buy new U joints for the front axle of an 83 Chevy C/10, and see what happens... be sure to insist you want them for a C model. :D

The front drive axle technically IS an option, but when a truck has it, it becomes a K model. Chevy had been doing that for years. Even the 1967 - 72 series. The only 67 - 72 trucks that came standard with the K emblem were the Blazers. K emblems from those years are rare. The 73 - 87 series sometimes used C emblems on 4wd trucks. In fact in 87 for some dumb reason GM switched to the V (4wd) and R (2wd) model designations. This stayed the same on Blazers and Suburbans until 1990. Yet the Blazer was still referred to as the K/1500 during those years. The pickups kept the C and K model designations, even with the body style change begining in 88. GM made it easy in recent years by just putting a "C/K" emblem on every truck. The VIN# digit for the K designation is the fifth digit for the 81-87 model years.

As far as a blade goes, I think you'll do fine with the wings on a 7.5'. The lots you are talking about don't sound like they will require long arcing runs. Just keep your eyes open for a used Meyer Husky, or Western 8' or 9' blade, or whatever brand. It will mount right up to your existing mounts in most cases.

[edit]
    I should add, that technically you have a C model with the 4wd option, yes, but that is what makes it a K model. Somewhat of a GM oxymoron... Oh, and by the way, only 20% of the C models had the 4wd option in 83 And Chevy only sold 35,625 C and K/30 models that year. So you see it's not that many that had the 4wd option. That's only 7,125 "K" models sold in 1983. Pretty rare.

~Chuck

Last edited: Dec 1, 2001
  14. scootz52

scootz52 Junior Member

Chuck, thanks again for all the great info
    i have purchase that plow the owner had made the wings himselg very h-d and a little bigger than the stock Meyers. overall plow and wings come to length comes to aboot 96"
    Scootz