1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

About to pull my hair out Ford f 350

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by fro890, Dec 3, 2011.

1. fro890

fro890 Junior Member

I have a 2004 f350 superduty 4x4 with a production date of 2/2004. I just bought a truck mount for it. fisher part# 7159-2. Will this fit my truck? I have people telling me yes and people telling me no. Any idea?

2. deicepro

deicepro PlowSite.com Addict

I dont know about fisher, but western mounts for early 2004 are special

3. fro890

fro890 Junior Member

Well im pretty sure I just bought the wrong truck mounts. I think I need part # 7173 mounts. Can anyone confirm this?

4. LON

LON Senior Member

Yes you need a 7173.

2004, FORD, F250 SUPER DUTY LATE.

"Early" indicates a build date before 12-01-2003, "LATE" indicates a build date on or after 12-01-2003.

5. stoksy927

stoksy927 Junior Member

older thread, im sure you have it figured out by now, but the early and late denotes the type of front suspension.
    I have an early 2004, with the leaf spring front end. They changed to coil springs in late 2004, thats the difference in the mounts.

My early mounts were very easy to install, only had to drill 4 holes if i recall correctly.

6. wils5150

wils5150 Member
    from mass

my f 250 was built 3-04 and has leaf springs

7. Flipper

Flipper PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

Does the front axle have leaf springs or coils? Dealer should have just asked that. Any dealer worth anything has installed lots of plows on Fords and would have know this was the difference.

8. John Burne

John Burne Junior Member

Pulling out my hair as well

I may have also bought the wrong push plates. I'm trying to put a MM2 on a 96 Bronco. I bought # 7126 plates and Fisher tech says I need 7126B, My dealer says Fisher doesn't have the 7126B but I've researched it tonight and it is listed. I can't see a difference in looking at diagrams. Any body know what's up with this? - John

9. Flipper

Flipper PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

I know the old style Fisher the Bronco had bar that extended under the front axle to mid point on the frame. The F150 was the same.

It really differs from the 250/350 in that the truck sits lower so the plow frame sits closer to the truck frame. On the 250/350 it sits lower on the truck frame.

10. wils5150

wils5150 Member
    from mass

figuered I woud add to this post since I just installed a fisher on my 04 f250.here is the story. my truck is a late 04 it requires push plate 7173 wich I bought. couple days later I am reading the instructions and I notice something is missing on my truck. the blocker beam AND blocker beam brackets are not there. I ended up going to ford and buying the brackets/spring shackle mount $98 a piece. I am happy to report it wasnt to hard to mount those new brackets and everything mounted up fine.

11. JFon101231

JFon101231 Senior Member
    from CT

Which matters, build date or suspension config?

Confused - posts 4-7 conflict each other. A friend of a friend wants me to get everything for him and install. Per Fisher, build date is what matters. The truck was built 06/04 and Fisher says that means 7173. But it has leaf springs up front so according to the comments here some are saying that the 7159-2 would work. Not sure what to buy... :dizzy:

If suspension was the true difference why wouldn't Fisher just say that in their docs?

Last edited: Sep 8, 2014
  12. cubicinches

cubicinches PlowSite.com Addict

You need a 7159-2.

Leaf spring vs. coil spring is what makes the difference in the mount. Pay no attention to the build date.

13. NHresident

NHresident Senior Member

Last edited: Sep 9, 2014
  14. cubicinches

You're correct. I've obviously never done an installation on, or seen a late build 2004 with leafs. In checking fisher ematch and western Quickmatch, there is a separate mount for late 2004 only, vs. early 2004 (which is the same back to 1999) and a 2005 (which covers up through 2007).

Thanks for correcting me.

15. JFon101231

JFon101231 Senior Member
    from CT

Hopefully that wasn't sarcasm?

The install instructions for late-04 7173 say in Step 5:
    Starting with the driver-side pushplate, position the rear section in place by fitting the pushplate between the leaf springs and the frame. On some vehicles it will be necessary to jack up the frame slightly to gain more clearance between the frame and the springs. Check for and eliminate any interference with Ford nut retainers on bottom of frame.​

That would seem to contradict the theory to use the 7159(-2) if it was leaf spring and 7173 for coil spring... :cry:

So let's see, we have the following suggesting using build date:
    Fisher
    Lon - a dealer
    cubicinches (if I understand correctly)​

And the following suggesting front suspension is all that matters:
    stoksy927
    Flipper - a dealer?​

16. JFon101231

JFon101231 Senior Member
    from CT

Reading again, looks like Wils5150 had a late '04 with leafs and used the 7173 without a problem so that is what I'm going to plan to do unless I see any concrete evidence otherwise.

17. cubicinches

Me? Sarcastic? C'mon... :D

No, not being sarcastic at all. NHresident is correct. I originally said that coil vs. leaf is all that matters, but I see now that I'm wrong. I've always just gone by that method, and it seems I've just been lucky that it always has worked out. Thus my statement that I must've never encountered a late 2004 with leafs.

7173 is the mount you need.

18. NHresident

NHresident Senior Member

maybe this will help u a little further ford from 99-11/30/03 in the 4x4 f250 and bigger used coiled springs fisher pp kit 7159-1 or 2 then 12/1/03 till the last 04 model rolled off the line had leaf springs kit 7173 then in july or august when they rolled out the 05's they went back to coil springs kit 7176 SO a trk could technically be made in say july or later of 04 have coils BUT its considered a 05 model yr this time span is one of the most confusing scenarios out there next to guys trying to identify thr difference between 7125"s and 7138"s

19. cubicinches

99-11/30/03. You mean leaf springs, right?

20. NHresident

NHresident Senior Member

right leaf springs not coils thxs