1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

? about spreader controller

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Sydenstricker Landscaping, Oct 1, 2007.

1. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping PlowSite Veteran

Okay so here is the deal. I am too cheap, lol, to go buy a new spreader controller. I cant find one for a decent price used either. So I was thinking put a switch for on and off, and wire a rotary control into it, kinda like the interior dim knob in the truck. Would this be at all feasible and how complex is the wiring gonna be?? I am good at wiring and what not, so any help is greatly appreciated!!:waving:

2. Wicked500R

Wicked500R Senior Member

All your doing is asking for something to not work when you need it the most....get a new controller....:dizzy: What does it say in your sig about spending the whole summer gettin' prepped for winter...I guess that didn't happen....lol

3. Sydenstricker Landscaping

True, just trying to weigh my options. If it doesnt seem doable, I will get myself a controller. I figure it is worth a try, I got a little time before the snow flies.

4. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Needs to be able to handle 30 amps, should have a (30 amp) circuit breaker in the system.

Good luck.

5. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Cool. Now that I know it needs a 30 amp fuse in it, that makes it half the battle. Looks like I got a good project for this weekend. Thanks Basher:waving:

6. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Don't mis-quote me, I said circuit breaker.:cool:

7. Wicked500R

Wicked500R Senior Member

I think the adjustable knob like the dimmer switch is called a Rheostat switch but not sure....

8. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Can you give me more detail??
    I will look into it. Thanks!!

9. dmontgomery

dmontgomery PlowSite.com Addict

Tom if you are just doing open lots a switch will work fine.

10. Wicked500R

Wicked500R Senior Member

Yeah, Open lots...all you need is a switch...you can use vehicle speed to regulate the amount of salt that hits the ground....

11. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Yes what you are looking for is a rheostat.the ones in TVs and radios are not strong enough.

Use a circuit breaker so if you have an issue you don't have to change fuses, just reset the circuit breaker or use a self resetting breaker.

12. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Thanks so much guys. A couple of my lots are open, but some are not like a couple banks. So where would I most likely find a rheostat??

13. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

A karrier control box.:D

14. sweetk30

sweetk30 PlowSite.com Addict

15. dforbes

dforbes Senior Member

rheostat

we put one on one of our trucks one time, we got it a NAPA. If I remember it was a special order item and was around $40.00 but it was made for this type of application.
    Dennis