1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

? about snow plow mounts

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by Ricks, Mar 1, 2004.

1. Ricks

Ricks Junior Member
    from Maine

I have a 1997 TJ that I am thinking about putting a plow on. This would be be personal use and clearing a 1/2 mile private road. In my area you will see many used plows for sale. All of the ads state the plow was remove from a specific truck. Is it possible to pick up one of these used plows and get the correct mounting system for my Jeep. I know I will need a plow that is 6.5 or 7 feet wide. If this is incorrect please let me know.

Are there any plows I should stay away from. And what should I look for in a used plow?

I did spend some time reading through many of the questions and it appears as if my Jeep will be up to the task.

2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Yes - Contact a dealer for the type of plow you get for a mount.

Basically, that's personal preference. You could search for comments regarding the various brands of plows.

Leaks, frayed/split hoses, worn pins/holes and general condition (rust, etc).
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2004
  3. 97Wrangler

97Wrangler Junior Member

I also use a 97 TJ for plowing. I have a western 6'6". You will need to put air shocks or timbrens on the front end to assist in the weight. I installed everything myself so if you have any questions please feel free to ask. The TJ works good with the 6'6" plow but I would hate to see how much more weight the 7' puts on it. Good luck