1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

? about shoes

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by clncut, Nov 26, 2004.

1. clncut

clncut PlowSite.com Addict

Ive just finished searching the threads on shoes for about an hour now and found most of you dont believe in using the shoes and have found many other uses for them. ( I did like the fishing weight comment)

Ive read so much about how to use them on dirt or gravel drives but am still uniformed about using them on concrete. For those of you using shoes...

1)when plowing with the shoes on (concrete, blacktop) do you have all surfaces touching equally? Both shoes and the edge?

2)or do you plow with the shoes hitting the ground only leaving a small gap maybe an eight of an inch between the surface and the edge.

I have the shoes on and all surfaces were touching the concrete evenly and it felt as if the blade was digging into the concrete. I found myself just taking the blade out of float mode and plowing seemed to be smoother?

Just curious as to what you guys do?
  2. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

I have never been able to plow out of the float mode. If the lot changes directions(uneven) if your blade wants to rise then the spring just goes slack but if your blade wants to go down, it can't and all the snow will go under your plow and how do you get that out. I don't think you mean your plow is digging into the concrete and this would be impossible. If you want shoes to plow gravel then you leave them just below the cutting edge and it will leave a little bit of snow but with gravel this is fine.JMO
  3. Tarkus

Tarkus PlowSite.com Addict

When I plow on gravel I set my shoes as low (furthest extended) as the will go which raises cutting edge up and 1/2 to 3/4 of a inch above grade.
  4. lawnmedic

lawnmedic Senior Member

I set my shoes so that if the plow is disconnected from the truck It sits level with the ground. I can pull up to the plow and the holes are aligned. My newest plow, (which was bought before last season), cannot be run with shoes because the previous owner did not and the cutting edge is worn too much. When I replace the edge(probably during this season), I will reinstall the shoes. I find the cutting edge lasts about 3 times longer with shoes on....
  5. clncut

clncut PlowSite.com Addict

so when your cutting edge is on the ground, do your shoes touch the ground also making them even with the cutting edge. Or is your cutting edge slighty above your shoes leaving a small gap between the ground and the cutting edge?
  6. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

You can drop the plow all the way to the ground and then bump it up a little bit.
  7. Tarkus

I like the plow to rest on them a bit on pavement (the shoes) unless I am trying to get up some ice to lower surface impact. I also use mushroom head shoes too
  8. Bldrs83

Bldrs83 Member

For blacktop and concrete I put them in the tool box. I have lost two shoes in the past by I can only guess stacking snow up over a curb and clipping the base of the shoe on the curb. All that is left is a stub, some washers, and a $50 bill. I use them on stone or gravel. The adjustment depends on the depth of the material but I do usually leave about 1 inch of snow (give or take for uneven grade) unless the homeowner has kids with rakes and they don't care about rocks in the yard, then I get as close as they want me to.
  9. snooker

snooker Member
    from Zone 7

Exactly. I tried to extend the life of the cutting edge with shoes, but all it did was cost more to replace the shoes and leave wierd tracks wherever I plowed.
  10. Tarkus

I have NEVER lost a shoe. You moust not be using ineffective lock pins to hold them on.
  11. Midwest BuildIt Inc

Midwest BuildIt Inc PlowSite.com Addict

I also have a ? about shoes . I have a boss v and was wanting to know if i had to use the shoes or not. in the past on my strait blades i have always left them off. but now i have this v blade and am not sure if i need them or not. thanks guys.
  12. Bldrs83

Bldrs83 Member

I plow with an 8'2" Boss. No shoes on hard surfaces.