1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

? about rural mail boxes.

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by '76cj5, Jan 19, 2004.

1. '76cj5

'76cj5 Member

I never though about it before until I started reading these post but out were I plow all the mail boxes are on one side of the road. I usually clear a path for the customer to get his mail on the other side of the street but now I realize that they are on another persons property and wonder if I could get in trouble pushing snow onto the other persons property like that.

I quess I could back drag it across the street onto the customers property but I never like to push or drag snow across a road. I'm always carefull about keeping snow from laying on the street.

I wish my neighbors with their ATV wouldnt leave the snow on the street. Makes me look bad but I digress from my question.

2. HayBay

HayBay Junior Member
    from Ontario

Rural Mailboxes

Around me I havent seen the guys plow the opposite side of the street where the mail box is. Once the City comes out they will get within inches of the mailboxes with their blade (on their second pass that is). Seen a few mailboxes in the ditch already.

I guess thats not as bad as when the kids come out with the baseball bat and start playing hit the mail box.

HayBay

3. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

I've had several requests to plow close to a mailbox which is often on the opposite side of the street. I think in any situation - country or city - you'll be ok. The mailbox will generally be sitting on a Right-Of-Way whether it's city or state (don't know about Canada). Now, in the case of an apartment complex or housing development with a cluster box, this will be the responsibility of the management. The responsibility will actually be to the US Postal Service to maintain access for mail delivery. Believe me (as a former Mail Carrier), they don't play around. I've cut off mail delivery in a heart beat for this issue.

As far as where to push it - when you clear it away from the box just angle to the side of the street/road. You still won't be on anybody's property because of the right-of way. What do you think the City does?

4. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

I bet if you did the neighbors mail box too not a word would ever be said.

5. Sidebuz

Sidebuz Member

I just make a quick swap with the blade angled by the mailbox. Long enough for the postman/newspaper person to get in and out. The first year I was pushing, I didn't do this at a property. The owner got a letter from the Postmaster saying, "Clean infront of your mailbox or you can start picking up your mail at the Post office. Have a good day." Ever since, I have been doing it.

As for that guy that is leaving the snow in the street: push it back into his drive! A neighbor that is close to my apartments have been doing that. The last two times I hit his pile doing about 20-25 MPH, sent it flying back into his drive. Next time, my plow is going into the scoop position. Depositing it right in front of his garage! I'll have pics for you guys...:gunsfiring:

6. MickiRig1

I ride with my blade Rt angled,when I see a pile left by a home owner I put it back.I have seen contractors guys blow snow into the street too. Quite a few I might add. But if I did that with my blade I would get $75 ticket.

7. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

I always clean around rural mail boxes. There is a string of them in front of my moms house, way out in BFE and i always clean in front of them. Of course i have to put the gravel back in the spring. Most people dont seem to do it though, they clear there driveway but dont bother doing in front of the mail box.:rolleyes:

8. Barberry Hill

Barberry Hill Junior Member

Just an anecdote for the line of thought:

Traveling behind a state plow truck with the last heavy snow fall.
    These guys were moving right along 35-40.
    I noticed that the arc off the board was right at mailbox level.
    Each of rhe boxes they passed , the arc was just below a direct avalanche of snow. They sped up a little more until the arc little took out every mailbox for the rest of the route.
    They were screaming down the road laghing all-the-way.
    I guess a little entertainment goes a long way when your plowing eh?

9. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

between kids playing mail box base ball, and cars taking out mailboxes, i guess the county might as well get in the act. You should call the couty department and say something. They can get in serious trouble for that. If they take out a few mail boxes its usually fine, they probably were rotted anyway. But of they take out alot of them in a row, it starts looking alittle different.

10. lakeeffect

lakeeffect Senior Member

In New York, mailboxes are considered in the rightaway and are actually against the law if you get technical. Nothing can be in rightaway that impedes road maintaince or snow removal, so that makes them fair game.

11. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Just as a note - the mailbox is officially property of the US Postal Service regardless of who bought it. It is a federal offense to tamper or damage a mailbox in use as such regardless of where it is.

12. MickiRig1

I was backing up a turn lane with my son in the truck and decided to show him a fancy flip direction move to the left. I had the plow all the way up and Rt angled.
    It was going perfect till the mail box mounted on a board came into view. The plow caught it right under the board sending it spinning 30 foot into the air. It came down and stuck board first into the snow. My son about wet his pants laughing. But got out the Ford adjusting tool and we put it back, no damage it lived.

13. streetsurfin'

streetsurfin' Senior Member

LOL, I wish I could have seen that!

14. MickiRig1

He still laughs about our minor mishaps while plowing.
    Like: say that looks like a trip spring on the ground, or hey there's one of the fog lights on the snow pile or making a nice roll of "sod" out of a 4 foot strip of our yard or the best one launching a half brick through the garage door.