1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

? about plowing w/ Bronco

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by JML, Dec 28, 1999.

1. JML

JML PlowSite.com Veteran

Hello, I have a 1996 Bronco 5.8 351 ci. 4wd.. Does anyone plow with a similiar truck, if so how does it do, what are the major problems? Thanks

2. DaveO

DaveO PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Ma.

JML,<p>Check your door tag for FAWR(front axle weight rating). This will tell you if the truck has a plow package. Should be 3800lbs for plow pkg, 2900lbs without. If you don't have it you will probably need to 'beef up' your front suspension. You can use boosters, air bags, or change the coils you have. They all work. You should have the HD radiator with the 351 already. Stay with a 7 1/2 ft blade or less to keep the weight down. Bronco's have a tight turning radius which makes them good in tight quarters....i.e. driveways. Hope this helps.<p>Dave

3. cbuozis

cbuozis Guest

I broght a 78 ford bronco 5 years ago the body was almost rusted away. I put a 77 pick-up cab on it and then shortened a 8 foot box to fit a year later, I have a 7 and a half foot meyer plow on it that i have used for 2 years now and I an very happy with the way it plows easy to heat and great manewverbelity

4. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Mentor, Angel
    from Chicago

cbuozis, I had a bunch of Broncos. 73, 75, 77, 79 and they all plowed good. I like your Idea of making a short pickup out of one. Do you have any pictures of it. I would like to see it. If you do, please email me one.<p>----------<br>&lt;a href=&quot;http://pages.prodigy.net/eric.erickson/index.html&quot;&gt;Eric@ELM&lt;/a&gt;<br>

5. cbuozis

cbuozis Guest

Sorry Eric, I don't have any pics. of my truck but I will try to get some to you. But I can tell you about the project, first I removed the Bronco body then started putting the cab on I hung a hoist in a tree then found 2 heavy pieces of angle iron about 8 feet long and welded them togeher in the shape of a &quot;U&quot; I put that through the cab with the doors shut and the windows down,then put a chain through the iron and hooked to the hoist(making sure the iron is long enough that the chain wouldn't touch the cab). I raised the cab off the pick-up frame rolled it away and rolled the bronco frame under. I put a piece of flat steel across the frame where the rear cab mounts line up. As for the front cab muonts and everything under the hood lined and bolted back up (steering,breaks,wiring,etc). The box was alot more work which I would happly explain if you are interested.<br> <br> cbouzis@prodigy.net<p> <p>