1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

? about Overdrive

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Frostysnow, Jan 8, 2006.

1. Frostysnow

Frostysnow Senior Member
    from oh

Really simple question, bt i couldn't find it in the search bar. Do you use overdrive when plowing, or does it not really matter?

2. murphyslaw

murphyslaw Senior Member

uh. you shouldnt be plowing fast enought to need it so just turn it off. most overdrives kick in at 45mph.

3. JTW

JTW Senior Member

I turn it off

4. killed300ex

killed300ex Senior Member

i wouldnt worry about it. Like was stated if your going fast enough to have it kick in your probably going to fast.
    Evan

5. Runner

Runner Senior Member

In most cases, I keep the truck in low 1 so it deoesn't even shift.

6. Grunt0311

Grunt0311 Member

The only thing I have heard about plowing in overdrive, is to NEVER do it. Turn it off. If you leave it on you are just asking for trouble.

7. yooper.mi

yooper.mi Senior Member

When the plow is on the overdrive is turned off.

8. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

Why would it even matter? :confused:

I'm lucky to get a 1-2 shift. Overdrive isn't even CLOSE to being activated, so turning it off is moot point.

9. MBB

MBB Senior Member

FRom a local tranny shop guy, plow in first only, cuts the amount of slippage on the auto by 60%, He says plowing in drive allows too much slippage and that is what fries trannies. True ? I do not know but I follow his advice never burned one up.

10. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

Depends on the transmission actually- some trannies do some effect with OD on even without the Od actually engaged.

11. dirt digger

dirt digger Senior Member

now are you talking about plowing with OD or transporting with OD. Either way it should be off.

12. Dirt_Werx

Dirt_Werx Senior Member
    from MASS

shut it off, plowing with it on will mess up the shift points and burn your trans up in a heart beat.

13. Remsen1

Remsen1 Senior Member

HUH? I've plowed with mine on and off and haven't noticed any difference. I never get past 2nd gear anyway. So exactly how long is "a heart beat"?

14. Fastcar

Fastcar Member
    from MA

The heat your transmission sees going forward is nothing compared to what it will tempclimb to in reverse.

roy

15. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

Ah, but since there is nothing that can be done for reverse, useing a gear in forward that reduces slippage and heat is the best that can be done overall.

ADD an aux tranny cooler and adding an extra capacity tranny pan makes a world of difference in temps too.

Most trannies don't have any effect from OD until 2nd gear or 3rd gear. My Ram 's OD is noticible in 2nd.

16. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

Really? Whats it do?:confused: