1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

? about older Meyers/Diamond plow

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by nmaineron, Feb 25, 2009.

1. nmaineron

nmaineron Junior Member

My plow is mounted on an 89 F-150,it has a belt driven pump and a valve block with solenoids and coils under the hood with an up/down and angle switches.All has been fine until the last storm when the raise function became really slow and eventually stopped working.I gave it a rest and returned and had the raise function again only to have it fail after a few cycles.

I have good circulation from the pump so I suspected a coil/solenoid issue.I took the valve block out and removed the coils and valves and all looked good no missing or cut o-rings and the one valve that has a screen was clean.I excited the main(i think) coil/valve with 12 volts and the valve functioned.This valve is a square unit and the only one that has two leads.I cleaned all and put it back into the truck and it worked as before,afew cycles and failure.

This truck is solely my plow truck,it sits all summer.The altenator is bad so I disconnect the battery after each use and charge the battery if needed.

I would really appreciate some input.Thanks,Ron

2. augerandblade

augerandblade PlowSite.com Addict

tymusicIf the valves are good could it be the hydraulic raise cylinder in front. I would get someone to raise the plow, :nod:hold the valve on ,while you loosen off the hose at the cylinder to see how much flow your getting. :nod: Another option instead of a electrical system is to go to a hydraulic supplier and plumb in hydraulics just like a tractor has. Thats what I did with the 2 Diamond plows I have.:salute:

3. nmaineron

nmaineron Junior Member

Thanks A and B,Could you explain a little to me about the tractor hookup.Never did tractors so I have to ask.

I went out today and checked all the valves and all were free and moved as they should.Had magnetism in the coils and power everywhere.I did find some bad wiring but it didn't help.

I think you might be heading me in the right direction with the cylinder and I'm thinking maybe the pump also.I have circulation but I may be down on pressure and if I had a bad inner seal in the cylinder and low pressure from the pump,well.....

If you don't mind,do you know if there are more than one coil energized when you hit the up switch,if so which ones?thanks,Ron

4. augerandblade

tymusicYes nmaineron all I can say from my experiece with the Myers E47 is that there may be 2 coil energized, but Im not sure. I know this is not a Myers. If you went completely hydraulic you would scrap all your electrical controls.,:nod: Run the pressure hose off the pump to a double set of hydraulic control valves, I have mine right in the cab (of course) with hoses running through the firewall. One control valve will run your raise/lower and the other your side to side:nod:. and youll need one hose on the hydraulic valve control to return to the reservoir when your not plowing but travelling as the pressure needs a return to dump the unused oil. Whats nice about this system is it gets away from the electrical headaches associated with electric over hydraulic. :nod: I also have went to a supply store and got a electrical over hydraulic power pack for one of my trucks. Mounted it right in the cab and ran the hoses through the firewall to the lift cylinder.:

5. nmaineron

nmaineron Junior Member

I got ya A and B thanks,that sounds like a really good solution for me.Easy fix.Thanks,Ron

6. meyere60

meyere60 Senior Member

maybe 1 of your coils is getting weak, and not opening the b valve enough to lift it, or a bad ground to it.

7. nmaineron

nmaineron Junior Member

Thanks meyer,that very well could be.I am getting 5ohms on both of the "b" and "c" coils.I have a bad feeling about my pump though,I'm not getting any movement now.I do have circulation back to the tank but maybe not enough pressure.

8. augerandblade

You got circulation back to the tank ,before ya scrap the pump check to see that the line to the lift cylinder isnt pinched somewhere. Just a thought./

9. meyere60

meyere60 Senior Member

it might be the pressure relief spring getting weak or cracked, try to tighten it or inspect. this was a problem with my brothers western cable operated pump, not udner hood or solenoid pump. any ways it would not go up, he tighten down the pressure relief about 3/4 of a turn and walla it fixed it .

10. nmaineron

nmaineron Junior Member

Thanks guys,I have checked all the solenoids and valves and everything seems be fine.I have circulation back to the tank and the hoses are fine.I thought maybe the switch might be the culprit but that checks out.Do two valves energize on raise? If so,which ones?

We are getting 12"+ today!!!

11. meyere60

meyere60 Senior Member

no. the only valve that works when you raise it is the b valve, which has a red wire.

12. nmaineron

nmaineron Junior Member

Thanks Meyer,okay,I need an education I quess! I have one valve that has a big nut 5/8 or 11/16,I used a fit all,which has a white power wire and a ground terminal.I was thinking that this was my power valve up function and the red and green valves were back and forth with the brown wire valve as a dump for down.I have power everywhere and circulation just no functions at all.I don't have a clue as to how much pressure is coming back to the tank and I don't have a guage that will measure system pressure.I got a bad feeling my pump is just plain tired.What do you think?Ron

13. meyere60

meyere60 Senior Member

the red wire/b valve is for up. the green wire/c valve is for right angel. the black wire/a valve is for lowering. to angel left it does not use a coil or valve, it is default to angel left, the motor is only activated for left angel. do all your valves have to wires, because they made old style coils/valves that only had a power wire, and used the base of the pump for a ground. then they have the new style coils/valves that have a designated power and ground for each coil. it sounds like you have 1 new coil/valve,and 2 old style coils/valves. they should all be the same, but you could use 2 old coils/valves, and 1 new coil/valve with no prob. the only difference is how they are grounded. hope this helps.

14. nmaineron

nmaineron Junior Member

Meyer,I really appreciate your help.I have a picture of my valve block. I will figure out how to insert it into a reply.

My "B" and "C" coil are old style.The larger valve, which hasn't been named yet,is the only one with a ground terminal.Ron

15. nmaineron

nmaineron Junior Member

Please tell me I'm not crazy.....I went out this morning to clean out the end of the drive thinking that I would have to do it with the blade down,like I did yesterday,the whole drive.Before I started the truck I just started looking things over just to see if there was something that I might be overlooking.I didn't see anything out of order but I decided to take the inline fuse holder apart to check the fuse,fuse ok.I start the truck hit the angle switch and the plow moved.Hit the up switch and the plow went up,multiple times,did the whole drive no failure....now tell me I'm not crazy....Ron

16. augerandblade

Ron. Way 2 Go!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hopefully ya got it fixed, cuz its hard plowing with your fingers crossed.

17. meyere60

meyere60 Senior Member

i guess the fuse did not have good contact. when you took it apart it could have knocked some gunk off and gave it a better connection. im gad its working and you got it fixed bud, good for you.

18. nmaineron

nmaineron Junior Member

Thanks for all your help guys.

19. meyere60

meyere60 Senior Member

glad its fixed, and glad i could try and be a help