1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

?? about liquids

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Bossman 92, Sep 6, 2008.

1. Bossman 92

Bossman 92 PlowSite.com Addict

I am thinking about setting up for liquids this year, but have a few questions first.

1) All of my accounts are per push, so I don't want to put anything down that will last too long. (PJ said he used somthing last year that worked for more than a week) :gunsfiring:

2) Is there anything that works better than brine but not as well as calcium?

3) Can any of these chemicals be used as a post pretement? (instead of using salt after a push)

I am just looking to save what little salt I have for when I really need it.

I read most of the posts about building a unit, but I need to see it to build one myself.

Thanks Bossman

2. rblake

rblake Senior Member
    from dayton

This is what i have been able to find over the past 3 weeks of searching on the internet: Caliber m1000 - enhanced mg with corn base that comes out of Toledo, Natural salt brine that comes out of ohio or sugar beet by product that needs to be mixed with salt brine.

3. Bossman 92

What's the price on this caliber?

Thanks Bossman

4. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

best of luck

Last edited: Sep 6, 2008
  5. Bossman 92

Hey elite, First off I read your thred on building a liquid unit and and learned alot.

In regards to your idea of pre-treating then plowing then salting using very little salt, I like that idea, may be the direction I head.

Good luck with your set-up, too bad you are so far away as I have access to several tanks free of charge.

Bossman

6. elite1msmith

from chicago

well im always willign to help a member, i happen to have a store that sells those pumps at a good price... maybe we can do something

i dont know if that salting thing is going to work, its just the dirrection im trying to go... saving the bulk for when its really needed

the gravity feed system,... will totally work , the only town fall is after the shut down, your lossing 1-2 gals, depending on your set up, i have some really busy parking lots, were i might have to shut down/restart 10-15 times... that is a lot of money lost in product

if you treating open areas, streets, roads, or industrial type buildings with minimual stop and go... a gravity system will work just fine

7. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Generally you pretreat at night or early morning before a storm, so traffic shouldn't be an issue. Gravity feed is a good idea to try and you can always go spray in circles that way you don't have to shut your boom off very often.

8. elite1msmith

from chicago

i made a small boom with PVC, drilled holes. attaced it to a small tank, hung it out of my truck bed...

i have a gravel drive , like 300 feet, i could see the spray lines 3 days later still in the gravel

the other reason , the cost of the 2 inch valve that is needed , is close to the same cost as the 3 pumps... so its one or the other, id rather have the pressurized system, in that case

i did highly , highly consider a manual valve with some kind of pull rod, next to the rear window in the truck, possily mounted to the back rack... but then i though..hell no, im going to be the guy more than likely trying this thing out... im not getting up early, to drive around with my rear window open, stick my arm out, and freeze.... im a lazy ass

9. rblake

rblake Senior Member
    from dayton

I got a price of $1.60 per gallon plus freight at a tanker load.

10. SuperBlade

SuperBlade Member

I got a price for liquid calcium at $3-$4 a gallon.

11. elite1msmith

from chicago

thats about the same price i got , if buying less than 500 gals

12. windrowsnow

windrowsnow Senior Member
    from nw ohio

who is the supplier out of toledo? and ive gathered that one gallon will to 1000 sq feet

13. rblake

rblake Senior Member
    from dayton

Ted Leslie with Syntax 18005370288. He was very knowledgeable on liquids and very helpful.
    Yes, on an average one gallon for 1000 square feet.

14. elite1msmith

from chicago

that seems high, normally its around 30 per 45,000(acre)

15. SuperBlade

SuperBlade Member

could it seem high because it should be at a 30% solution to 70% water the calcium chloride has a -29f freezing point and the amount of deicer is depends how cold it is?

16. elite1msmith

from chicago

no. in fact if u change the percentage of deicer it will freeze at a higher temp.... even if u add more of it... ask PJ and he will tell u more......

17. SuperBlade

SuperBlade Member

yes your right... but what i am saying is at -10 deg F. could you use a 10% solution to 90% water. This would strech out the amount you need to deice/anti-ice. So if i am thinking right that would be about 3000sq ft for $3 @ 15 gals = $45 to deice an acre.

Am I correct?

18. fubar271

fubar271 Junior Member

I have been using a brine that covers 1200 sq ft per gallon. It has 18% calcium chloride, 4% mag, 6% potassium and 6% sodium chloride. That rate is for deicing. For anti icing I am getting about 1600 sq ft per gallon. Price this year is going to be $1.25 per gallon for 4000 gallons.

19. rblake

rblake Senior Member
    from dayton

the brine that you use, is it from a natural brine well ? I talked to a company in ohio that sells a natural brine solution that contains sodium, calcium and Magnesium. If so, how do you like it

20. elite1msmith

from chicago

sounds about right= 28 gals u might be mixed too strong, ? not sure... r u mixing it your self?