1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

About how much is a used 6' 8" snoway worth?

Discussion in 'Sno-Way Discussion' started by cpd427, Jan 22, 2009.

1. cpd427

cpd427 Member
    from ohio

How much would you guys say a used snoway 6' 8" plow that won't angle to the right and has about a 9 x 6 piece of the poly broken off the bottom corner, is worth? I think it's the older model, the one before the 22 series, the ST or 18 series I think it was called?? Because it uses the old box style controller with the toggle switch for the DP. They're asking $1500 for the complete setup. I'll see if I can get some pix of it to post.

2. stangman35

stangman35 Senior Member

grand or less,you could end up putting over $500 in it just to get it to work.

3. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

What all is included with it? That style control would make it a 18 series.

4. cpd427

cpd427 Member
    from ohio

The blade, the powerpack and the mount that all sits on, the under carriage mount, the light bar, the controller and any harnesses that are needed. So prertty much every thing that's needed to bolt it right up and use it (if I can get it working correctly, that is). It's also still on the truck so I would have to take it all off my self out side in the in the butt a** cold, in the lot the truck is sitting in. It's on a 1995 s10 single cab 4x4 (non vortec) so i'm pretty sure it should all work on my 1997 blazer 4x4. It doesn't have day-time running lights like my blazer does though, so I believe that makes a diff in the lighting connectors??

When did they stop making the 18 series? Is there a big diff from the 18 compared to the 22?

5. cpd427

cpd427 Member
    from ohio

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 25, 2009
  6. stangman35

stangman35 Senior Member

$500 that plow is pretty rough,you will spend quite abit to fix it up.

7. cpd427

cpd427 Member
    from ohio

So you deff don't think it's worth at least 1k then? I think I may of found out why its not angling right and not going up all the way. The pump is almost empty of fluid, it's just showing a little bit on the end of the cap/dip stick.

8. stangman35

stangman35 Senior Member

It looks like its been rode hard and put up wet.

you could end up spending alot on it,parts arnt cheap and it doesnt look like they did any thing to it but use it,no up keep.

Heres a pretty good deal I found,need mount and wireing but you would prolly be about the same money.Its in Indiana though.

http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/for/1001509502.html

9. cpd427

cpd427 Member
    from ohio

That IS a pretty good deal I wish it were a little closer to me. Thats about a 6hr drive for me, one way. It deff looks in way better condition!

10. stangman35

stangman35 Senior Member

11. cpd427

cpd427 Member
    from ohio

12. stangman35

stangman35 Senior Member

No problem,hope you find a good one.

Good luck

13. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

From the pics I'd say that unit needs a skin, wear edge, a set of blade guides and maybe some harness repair. Now it could need more but that's about all I can tell from the pictures.

On the plus side it will fit your truck and since that mount is not available from snoway any longer that is a BIG plus. It is a easy removal/install. The wiring will take as long (longer?) then the mount.

Negotiate on the price, ask to see the unit run. It is going to cost you maybe $400 (at the most) for the parts I listed you need. It onus is on you as to what you think it is worth. If it was in good condition and off the truck I'd call it a excellent deal.

mount install instructions
    http://www.snoway.com/service/Subframes/97100714A.pdf

14. cpd427

cpd427 Member
    from ohio

Wiring harness wise.... The harness that provides the plow with power to move and the controller wiring, is that all pretty much universal for every truck? I'm not talking about any of the lighting harnesses, because I don't plan to use the light tower.

15. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

the power and control wiring is all universal, only the headlight adapters and vehicle sub frame is vehicle specific. But as I stated before the mount (sub-frame) for your vehicle is no longer available from the factory.

16. cpd427

cpd427 Member
    from ohio

So even when I go on snoway.com and use the vehicle matching feature, everything that it's showing me for my vehicle is everything thing except the sub frame?

Would this work for me?
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SnoW...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

17. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Yes it should. you will need a nosepiece that is not pictured. I would be sure to ask if it was included. The seller says includes the nose, so i assume that he is refering to the nosepiece but we all know about assume:rolleyes:

18. cpd427

cpd427 Member
    from ohio

I'll be sure to ask. Thank you for your insight sir!

19. cpd427

cpd427 Member
    from ohio

I'm noticing that every used SnoWay plow i'm finding for sale in Ohio is rustier than all get out. And the one's i'm finding in PA, MI and IN aren't. Is that because of Ohio's slap happy use of road salt? Or just a lack of maintaining them?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 26, 2009
  20. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

That sucker's OLD. That finish hasn't been used in 15 years