1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

??? about cdl license

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by bullit340, Jan 13, 2014.

1. bullit340

bullit340 Member
    from Mass

I know there are a lot of Mass guys here so I am hoping someone might be able to answer this. I know that the weight number is 26k but the rmv site says something about being under 10k for the object being towed. I am kinda confused about this.

If you are driving a F550 with a gvwr of 19500 and pulling a 12000 gvwr bobcat trailer do you need a cdl license? This gives me a combined gvwr of 31500 but a bobcat weighs like 7,500, which is under the 10k.

Point being I need a new truck and want a F450 or F550 for plowing etc.. but am I able to tow a landscape and bobcat trailer without a cdl. Both my trailers would put my combined gvwr over the 26k

I have been told that you do while others tell me its what the curb weight is, and everything in between. Any help is appreciated.

2. 32vld

32vld Senior Member
    from LI, NY

I am not a Mass guy though it is not the load of the trailer but the weight of the trailer and it's load can not exceed 10,000 lbs. Then you have to have a class 2 with a trailer endorsement. Which involves a road test with a trailer rated heavy enough.

Getting that endorsement will still keep you behind the wheel of a straight truck because you will not be legal for a tractor trailer.

Now if your trailer weight and it's load stays under 10,000 lb then you should be good to go.

This is what I remember. Someone that is current with law will post what's what for sure.

3. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

It has nothing to do with actual weight and everything to do with GVWR. What the potential weight your combo can haul.

The answer to your questions is: Yes.

4. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

Mark is correct (I have a CDL) I have a friend (I know hard to boleve) that got pinched for $350 for NOT having a DOT card. He was driving an F350 (GVW over 10,001 Lb) In MA you need a DOT card.

5. JimMarshall

JimMarshall Senior Member
    from NW PA

This.

You need a Class A to tow a trailer with a GVWR in excess of 10,001 lbs, regardless of whether the combination GVWR is over 26,001.

6. jrs.landscaping

jrs.landscaping Senior Member
    from Maine

No

Trailer over 10k if GCWR exceeds 26k. So an f350 srw can tow a 7 ton trailer and be under cdl.

7. jhenderson9196

jhenderson9196 Senior Member

Wrong! Class B = combined over26,001 , trailer under 10,000. Class A= combined over 26,001, trailer over 10,000. Tow a trailer over 10,000lbs but combined GVW under 26,000 no cdl.

8. mtnbktrek

mtnbktrek Senior Member
    from NEPA

But this? as long as you are under 26k gvwr you don't need a Cdl. I tow a 16k gooseneck with a f350 (~8k) that's total 24000 correct

9. jrs.landscaping

from Maine

Class b covers power units and has nothing to do with combination weight.

10. JimMarshall

from NW PA

You are absolutely incorrect, and will have a HUGE fine when you get pulled over

If you are towing a trailer over 10k lbs, you NEED a CLASS A CDL. jhenderson is correct that if you have a Class B, you can tow a trailer less than 10K lbs, but if your trailer is over 10, you need a class A regardless of combination weight.

The back of a Class A license says Combination>26,000/Tow>10,000

11. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

These discussions never go well and usually lead to more confusion. I know how WI works, but I won't pretend to know how any other state works, cause I don't. Not saying the correct info hasn't been posted but, best thing to do is look up your state info on the web.

12. jrs.landscaping

from Maine

I've been pulled over with a 7 ton equipment trailer. I was driving out of class, I was allowed to drop the trailer from our 350 drw and haul it back with our 3500 srw. This came from the dot officer, he called it a learning experience about license classes........

13. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

Wrong.

Anything under 26 combined does NOT need cdl

You can have a 12k truck and 12k trailer and you do NOT need a CDL

You can have a 10k truck and 16k and be fine

14. SDLandscapes VT

SDLandscapes VT Senior Member
    from Vermont

This all varies by state--hugely. You have to comply for each state you drive in and there are some overarching federal regulations. Vermont is like the wild west with what is allowed--seriously you should fear all landscape rigs in this state.

As written here GCVW 26,001 and over requires CDL class B at a minimum, Trailers 14,000 and over without bathrooms (RV's) require a CDL A no matter what you are towing it with--you have to register your vehicles for the max GCVW--so for example our one ton is registered for 26,000 so we can legally tow a GVRW of 10K# behind a GVRW 11,400 Chevy 3500HD, but even though 14K would still be under 26K GCVW you can't do it because of the CDL A requirement. We just don't tow behind our International 4700 26K GVRW

15. JimMarshall

from NW PA

Have you ever been pulled over by the DOT?

16. Whiffyspark

from SOMD

Nope were all legal

If someone can show me where it says we need cdl I'll eat my words. But the fact of the matter is you Dont. Says right in the handbook

17. Bison

Bison Member

18. Whiffyspark

from SOMD

There's only one state that requires a cdl for a trailer over 10k. Which state it is is slipping my mind

Screenshot_2014-01-13-20-44-03.jpg

19. Whiffyspark

from SOMD

Says right on the page that you Dont unless you have a truck over 26000 over with a trailer in excess of 10k

20. Bison

Bison Member

On the B license it says " Towing a vehicle NOT in excess of 10000 lbs " . If you can't tow it with a B you must need an A . Thats the way I'm reading it.