1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

? about 4 wheel drive

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Frostysnow, Dec 24, 2005.

1. Frostysnow

Frostysnow Senior Member
    from oh

This is kind of one of those rookie questions. Do i need to take the truck out of 4 wheel drive before i park it and turn the truck off?
  2. makplow

makplow Senior Member

Hi frosty, NOPE !!!!!:waving:
  3. Mowerpan

Mowerpan Senior Member

Nope but I always do so I don't forget it is in 4wd and start drivin on clean roads, turning.
  4. yooper.mi

yooper.mi Senior Member

I always leave the truck in 4 wheel drive defrost set so there is nothing to shift or adjust when it is frosty cold outside. Just have to start warm up and everything is set to plow no cold transfer case to try to get 4 wheel.
  5. lorentzlawnsnow

lorentzlawnsnow Senior Member

austin, if you need any help with anything give me a ring. i'll do all i can to help get you started.
  6. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

No but i usually do for the reasons mentioned above, I will forget its in 4 wheel and drive off on clear roads.
  7. meathead1134

meathead1134 Senior Member
    from MA

I'm opposite I forget to put in 4x4. I was trying to push some sonw on a slight incline when I lost traction and wouldn't move. I forgot to pull the level in the T case. I did this twice in 1 storm. Anohter dumb blonde moment damit I have to stop doing those
  8. makplow

makplow Senior Member

yea meat, I call them senior moments myself. :dizzy:
  9. ljrce

ljrce Senior Member

my plow truck staysin fourwheel drive ll the time but my blazer that is going to be getting a plow on it and i only haev it in 4 wheel drive when i need it and never park it in 4 wheel drive
  10. frostservices

frostservices Member

Hey Frosty
    I wouldn`t worry about taking it out,but be careful where you park ,I have a 92 chev 3500 it`s got a lever on the floor but the front axle is still shifted electrically and when you shut the truck off it comes out of 4x4 then when you start it up again you gotta wait for it to reengage it`s,its a very bad setup which I hate cause if you have to leave your truck on a steep hill thats slippery it will come out of 4x4 and away it goes,something to watch out for.
  11. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Plow on and in four weel drive. Nothing worse than getting a lot of snow and being stuck in 2 wheel, as is takes a couple of feet for some 4wheel drive syestems to engage. If the pavement is dry it's very easy to disengage it.
  12. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

I don't even shut my truck off when I'm plowing. I carry a keyless remote for when I stop for coffee. I don't want it to not start, or have a locking hub fail to engage, plus I figure the battery could use the charge time. I've had too many stupid things happen over the years. I disengage 4x4 on dry primarys only.
  13. DugHD

DugHD Senior Member
    from Maine

Seth , are you sure it comes out of fourwheel drive when u shut the truck off?
  14. PremierLand

PremierLand PlowSite.com Addict
    from detroit

can you drive and turn 4x4 on, and can you drive and turn it off. or should you come to a complete stop? I always stop and move it in/out of 4x4, but my bro said you can do it if your doing under 45?
  15. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

With a Dodge you can shift in or out of 4 wheel at any speed as long as you are not spinning or skiding..:nod:

I've engaged the 4 wheel drive at 80 mph before with
    no problems at all.:waving:
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2005
  16. jsbmaine

jsbmaine Junior Member

I "shift on the fly" but keep it under 35 to put it in. I don't like to go much over 45 with the 4wd in anyway, because it makes the front end vibrate too much. Then again, my truck has 185k on it......

Also depends on the hubs you have. My 93 chevy doesn't even have "hubs" really, it is engaged by way of a solenoid in the front drivetrain. If you have manual hubs, or a system like mine you should be fine. However, with some automatic hubs you have to back up to get the hubs out of 4wd...

Sorry if that doesn't make sense.
  17. frostservices

frostservices Member

Yeah its coming out when you shut it off,I`m sure alot of other guys with the same setup will confirm that. If you shut it off with lever in 4x4 come back start the truck up and try to move it will just spin in 2wd you gota set and wait about 15-20 seconds for it to reengage.
  18. frostservices

frostservices Member

Oh yeah and you don`t hurt to be moveing to engage or disengage as long as your not spining I ussually just let off pull lever back and when its engaged you can get back into it again. Just be careful some trucks take 15-20 seconds to fully engage.
  19. lorentzlawnsnow

lorentzlawnsnow Senior Member

those trucks that take so long to engage actually use a thermal actuator. very flawed design. so when you park it, the actuator loses juice, thus losing heat and disengaging. you'll notice that when it's cold out, they take longer to engage. if you have a vehicle under 8600 gvw they came out with one that actuates electronically. otherwise you're screwed. i put a manual actuator on mine made by posi lock. works great. positive engagement instantly. i would recommend it to anyone with this style actuator.
  20. frostservices

frostservices Member

My gvw is 9200 can you use the manual actuator on a truck with that gvw? I guess now that I think about it I wonder if it will stay engaged if you turn the key to acc with the engine off?
    I`ll have to try that. Sorry to hyjack the post.