1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

A wing on an F550??

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Govbradst555, Jan 14, 2009.

1. Govbradst555

Govbradst555 Member

In the past few days i have had a few people from town and state sheds tell me that NH does not hire trucks without a wing. I have a Ford F550. Can i put a wing on my truck.??
    One of the towns wants me to go down to there shed. They think they might be able to install one. Any input on this matter is appreciated.
    Also wondering what a wing may cost?
    Thank You
    Tom

2. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

iv never used a wing blade before, but i would think that what ever wing design they put on , its gonna cause some serious weight distribution? and your gonna have to floor the truck to go anywhere... i know the 550 has a decent frame, but the enigine and trans arent that much different from its litttle brothers 250/350

like i said iv never used one

another thing to consider, if you didnt plow for a muni... and you went all commercial , I have seen VERY little use for a wing in private parking lots

Id try to talk them into a larger plow... hows the blizzard 1185 , or a 9 foot blade with wings? snow ways new mega, (assuming they are fixing some problems) with a set of wings is pretty wide...im not sure how much.

Maybe toby or basher could look it up

I personally dont see a big difference between having a wing , and just a flat out larger blade on front. But for resale, and other uses, a larger front blade might be better

JMO?

3. Govbradst555

Govbradst555 Member

I have a 9 1/2 ft V plow they also don't like the fact that it V's lol. They want me to put a straight blade on it. What is the difference? My blade obviously can go straight.

4. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

a vee can leave trails down the middle

5. rawdog

rawdog Senior Member
    from Cape MA

6. Govbradst555

Govbradst555 Member

That is very nice. Did you get any feedback on how well in works from your customer and about how much do they cost?. I can't wait to get one!!. How much more do u think i should be charging per hr
    thanks again for the information it's more than i expected to get already.
    Tom

7. dlnimsy

dlnimsy Senior Member

one ton wing truck

I've owned two of these trucks and they are awesome for plowing roads. I'm not sure how theyed be in private lots but i would recommend them

IM000122.jpg

IM000123.jpg

8. rawdog

rawdog Senior Member
    from Cape MA

its actaully not my post...but one i saw right before i read yours sorry...just ask teh guy on that link

9. BMWSTUD25

BMWSTUD25 Senior Member

Please let us know what you find out as far as cost goes as I would be very interested in buying one for my new F-550. Dont have a reason too yet but would def look for more work if I had one.

10. davespark

davespark Junior Member
    from MN-WI

11. Govbradst555

Govbradst555 Member

A little birdy tells me that they are around $4,500-$5,500. It looks like a money making machine to me. I can't seem to find to much more about them but i am still lookin around. with the wing it means more money per hr,work gets done faster and better. Maybe even enough time to take on another account or 2.Also keeps ya out of the ditch. I'm sold!!. it's just a matter of time now.
    Tom

12. HALH VT

HALH VT Senior Member
    from Vermont

I have a wing on a 77 Dodge 3/4 ton. The truck is a little bit light for it, I can't mount it and the front blade at the same time, but it works well. Five feet of cut beyond the tires, and so what if it is over the ditch. This is the second year I have used it. I used to hire someone with a wing to widen out my driveways, usually once or twice a winter. This picture was taken last year, the first time I tried it. It's not a great picture but it shows what the wing will do. The skid marks next to the tree also show what happens when you hit something that won't move.

I posted pictures of the truck last year http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=53632&page=3

dlnimsy, do you know who built the wing shown in your pictures? The mount looks quite similar to mine. I bought it second-hand and nobody could come up with a name.

snowbanks.jpg

13. dlnimsy

dlnimsy Senior Member

H.P. fairfield made the setup on my 1995 in the pic. there is or was a company called cox (from Maine i believe) that also made a setup similer. Every once in a while you can find a truck at auction completly setup, but as u know they are not so common. From what i learned only municipalities can afford to buy them.I wanna say i was quoted between 9000 to 13000 for the wing and cetral hydraulic setup insalled.heres a pic of the interrior contols. I saw a guy in Maine about 6 years ago that had 3/4 tons setup with wings, he plowed for a town up north and needed wings to get the contract. pretty ingenious way to cover the requirment.I posted a truck in the 4 sale section last year if u search in there you can find it. I dont know how to post it here if u or some one can do it ill answer more questions u have. thanks

iter.jpg

14. dlnimsy

dlnimsy Senior Member

I found my other post. It is listed under 88 chev v-30 inthe for sale section.

15. Govbradst555

Govbradst555 Member

I tried to find post but couldn't. That's a nice set up looks kinda expensive.

16. Winter Land Man

Winter Land Man Senior Member

My buddy Jim has a NHDOT contract to plow the state roads at an intersection and downtown area of a town.... he has a '98 Chevy 3500 Dump w/9'Fisher Plow and Fisher SS Sander....

17. Mebes

Mebes Senior Member

Govbradst555 here is a link 4 you regarding the above Quotes http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=42428

S

Last edited: Jan 17, 2009
  18. Winter Land Man

19. dlnimsy

dlnimsy Senior Member

nhdot drag wing

This is a truck i owned about ten years ago. It was an x nhdot rig, IH 1700 dt 360-5/2spd. The front plow eventually ended up on my grader(much better fit!). the wing did not fold in but only lifted strait up. Believe me you did not want to get into any tight traffic areas.It always stuck out about 6ft to the side.It did a nice job on the road. I only had it one season as it was just an old ***** with a new dress(paint job).

smd2.jpg

20. Winter Land Man

Those are Henderson's right?