1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

A whole new level of stupid going on around here!

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Brian Young, Oct 19, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

I thought I've seen a lot of stupid numbers from companies who clearly don't know what the hell they are doing over the years but this takes the cake!!!!!!!!!! Local 2 store location, one lot a bit bigger than the other but both right around 3-3.5 acres of plowing....several other bids all come in around the mid 9's to plow and salt each location....this *******.....2500.00 and 2900.00 to plow and salt (seasonal) WTF! lol good luck with that guy. I told the Manager he's half the price of the last low baller you fired last year lol. Rant over.

2. SHAWZER

SHAWZER PlowSite.com Addict

How many times do you plow in a season ?

3. Buswell Forest

Buswell Forest PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

Bet he has a 1988 1500 Chevy with a frame patch pushing a 7'6" Meyer.

4. Brian Young

We average anywhere from 110 to (the last couple seasons) 140+ inches and around 40-45 salting events.

5. LapeerLandscape

LapeerLandscape PlowSite.com Addict

Theres a couple in every town.

6. Freshwater

Freshwater Senior Member

NW Pennsylvania gets HAMMERED.

7. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

What do you expect. Last year you guys were plowing for 30 an hour ,now its 20.00. So that bid sounds about right.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2015
  8. Bossman 92

Bossman 92 PlowSite.com Addict

3 acres and 3k to plow and salt?? There's no way. Are you kidding me? Even 9k on a lot that size with salt is crazy

9. Superior L & L

Superior L & L PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

Around our parts that would go for $14,000 +\~. Typically about $4500 a acre on big box stuff. We are 15 plows 40 salts ish. The Nationals would like it to be $3000 a acre

10. leigh

leigh PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

Cant wait for this insanity to hit here,then I can bail! I've got a 3 -4 acre lot that pulled in 21k last year! Pushed it bout 15 times lol. And the thing is,I'm not exactly flush with cash on these 200$+ an hr lots!

11. Freshwater

Freshwater Senior Member

I just bid 2.5 acres at 8500 and it went for 7000. Guys in my thread told me I salt too much lol.

1k an acre is loony toons.

12. thelettuceman

thelettuceman PlowSite.com Addict

Laugh My Ass Off !!!!!!

13. Buswell Forest

Buswell Forest PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

Rather do driveways. Way less stress. Probably more money.

14. JimMarshall

JimMarshall Senior Member
    from NW PA

Just because I'm semi local, care to share what sites?

15. Brian Young

LOL isn't that the truth!

16. Brian Young

Well there's no secret our area is the ghetto of plow pricing. I actually bid this for 11,200 and 10,500 and thought I was in the ball park then but then asked to lower the price a bit and the job was ours....until this idiot put in his 3 day late bid!

17. Brian Young

Honest to God's truth on pricing! Wanna hear another good one...there's a guy around here who I swear is trying to become the new john allen. he bid a burger joint that's got a 3 sided parking lot with the bump out islands on the ends and one in the middle...just a pain to plow. This guy bid and got it for a whole 22.00/ push and 10, yes 10.00 to salt it! Then he asks a friend of mine to plow it for 15 bucks LOL

18. abbe

abbe Senior Member
    from RI

There has been a lot of nonsense and crying about low ballets on here lately, most with no real tangible facts. If what you are speaking of on here is true, we are all effed.

You avg 110" and 40+ saltings and someone says $2900. At what point in someone's mind does that sound like a profitable endeavor.

Just dividing $2900 by 40 (saltings) gives you $72.5 per visit. That's to salt 3.5 acres.

Never mind plowing all 140" off of the lot.

Wow

19. Bossman 92

We'll on a positive note those guys should be out of business before the first of the year. $22 a push and $10 to salt? How did the manager keep a straight face when he gave him the job? Sounds like you need to sign more contracts and sub stuff to him. You could make a killing and never leave the house Thumbs Up

20. Bossman 92

I had a local guy tell me he charged $25 an hour to plow. I told him I couldn't work that cheap. He then leans towards me as if he was going to tell me something he didn't want anyone to hear and said that he uses 2 trucks so he was actually charging $50 an hour. :laughing: I said ahh that makes sense

Believe it or not the guy actually closed up shop about a year later.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.