1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

a whole day of plowing lost in seconds

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by ghost, Jan 21, 2005.

1. ghost

ghost Member

Get this , spent the whole night plowing my route and on the very last lot that i did, I went to salt it off and backed into a steel pipe that was about 10 ft long and 3 ft high. Well nothing was wrong with the truck :) but the guys in the plant were surprised when I drove the other end right through the wall and in to the shop. :drinkup: Oh is going to cost about a grand to fix. I love working for free :)
  2. bcf

bcf Senior Member

Sorry to hear that. Hopefully you made enough to cover it, or have enough insurance to cover it. Glad to hear no one was hurt.
  3. Vaughn Schultz

Vaughn Schultz PlowSite.com Addict

4. Grshppr

Grshppr Senior Member

I know exactly how you feel :( Think I've plowed a few snowfalls for "free" this year too.
  5. ghost

ghost Member

All in a night fun and luckily I am covered for most of it :drinkup:
  6. hesko1

hesko1 Member

I backed thru a block wall about 10 years ago. Never heard from my insurance our the customers. That is what good insurance is for!

P.S. Now I only plow/salt for about 9 hrs instead of 12 - 15 hrs. I havn't had to fight off sleep once this year!
  7. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping Senior Member

ya it hapens to the best of us. i was backing into a few parking spots with our f350 dump and sander at a kindercare....and they ahve the small busses to haul the kiddies with. well when i was backing in i clipped the huge bus mirrors that stick way out in front. i only tapped it, but it tweaked the mirror and since they bolt them straight to the fender.....costs $1100 to fix. of course insurance covers it, but still sucks knowing you did it. with the amount of places we maintain, its bound to happen no matter what. you can be extremely careful all the time, but it will still happen. maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow, but at some point it will.
  8. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

How can you put a $1100. claim through your insurance? My deductable is $1,000 and I figure I will fix anything upto $5,000 just to keep my rates down.
  9. Clapper&Company

Clapper&Company PlowSite Veteran
    from NE OHIO

plowing for free

Your have it happen. A guy that plows in town here, hes been plowing for 25 yrs now and has around 300 some lots. Was doing a lot with his brand new truck, backed right in to the side of two brand new car parked. He plowed around them and then backed in to them.
  10. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping Senior Member

hey cet......i dont know how big your business is, but when you have 10 trucks, 3 loaders, 3 bobcats and two sidewalk crews going all the same time accidents are gonna happen. we usually pay claims out of pocket for smaller stuff but once you get over $1,000 it goes to insurance usually. i forget what our deductible is. thats the secretaries problem :D