1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

A what if question

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Scenic Lawnscape, Feb 14, 2009.

1. Scenic Lawnscape

Scenic Lawnscape Senior Member

I am plowing a complex today(daylight time) and it is a senior living center glorified over priced apt complex

Well I have my lights on I have a diesel and the plow is scraping the cement, and as I am making a pass, this old white hair lets his dogs out and they run right at my truck, so I hit the brake's and I get out and make sure fido isnt dead, well the dog was on the other side of my truck, so I ask the old guy if he could call his dogs in, Mind you he is standing there in his underware, so I was caught off guard, anyways he starts to rumble that his dog was almost hit, Im polite and say Glad I seen him running at my truck

My question, what could have happened if I did run over ruff ruff. I am there plowing snow all lights on, truck is loud(diesel) and doing maybe 5mph

Just wondering

thanks

Rich

2. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

Nothing. I am sure there is a law about dogs having to be on a leash outside if it is a apt. complex. I know in most citys there are laws that dogs must be a leash at all times. He would be at fault, just like he would be liable if the dog attacked you when you got out of the truck. You did the right thing and was polite to the old man in his underwear. He is lucky that it was you and not some other person driving down the road. They would not be paying so much attention to there surroundings. I mean i can be up for 24 hrs straight and I am sharp as a tack when morning ruch hour comes, but people that got 9 hours of sleep dont know how to pay attention and then that is when accidents happen.

3. Dailylc

Dailylc Senior Member

Leash Law wins it all for you. Don't worry, keep working.

James

4. Scenic Lawnscape

Scenic Lawnscape Senior Member

well I went and bought the loudest back up alarm i could find, went thru 4 different ones before I found one I could hear over my diesel, and I wired it to a toggle switch so I can turn it on and off when I want.So I can "warn" future dog owners that I am in the area:jester:

5. Cassy

Cassy Senior Member

I think you did everything right. around here you have to have a dog on a leash at all times. Plus what you've got going for you is that while plowing, you have all of that snow in front of you, and a heavy truck--thus you have alot of momentum. You can't stop on a dime b/c a dog came out in front of your truck. I think that would hold up well in court.

We plow resi drives, and last year my boss had told all of his clients, that if they see us plowing their driveway, the kids and the pets need to go inside, they can't be playing near the driveway. We told them its just for safety's sake. Got a good response with that, everyone seemed to appreciate and understand the concern.

6. Sno4U

Sno4U Senior Member

Your fine. if Fido would have gotten hit, it would have been the owner's fault but the thing is, if you like animals like I do you'd still feel real bad. Also, consider this is probably one of those deals where you may be rite but in the customers' eyes you where wrong no matter what! You still kilt his pooch!

7. HALH VT

HALH VT Senior Member
    from Vermont

There's a couple places I plow where I swear they let the dogs out just to irritate me.

"Susan, the plow guy is here. Release the psychotic little rat dogs".

I lay under my truck in a pool of water for half an hour one day, trying to mickey-mouse the clutch linkage enough to drive home. The dog stood there and barked at my feet the whole time, except for a minute when the owner wasn't looking, and I put my boot in its mouth.

8. creativedesigns

creativedesigns PlowSite.com Addict

Also tell' em your eyes were exposed to indecency! lol :D

9. MileHigh

MileHigh PlowSite.com Addict

I would have stacked Fido at the top of one of the piles nice and high.