1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

A Weaker 7.3L Power Stroke?

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by POWERSTROKEFURY, Nov 8, 2004.

1. POWERSTROKEFURY

POWERSTROKEFURY Junior Member

I have a '00 F-350 1 Ton Dump with the 7.3L in it. When I first got the truck, it was unreal, pulled a dual axle trailer with a John Deer 460 Backhoe with 2 yards on it like nothing. But over the years I seem to be having a lack of power. Today I changed the air/fuel filter but didn't seem to make too much of a difference. Any other thoughts?

2. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

How many miles?

3. Crumm

Crumm Senior Member

Could be a weak lift pump, weak HPOP, worn injectors, sticking EBPV or a list of many other things? Really need more information. Like the Boss said "how many miles are on it". Is it just down on power or does it run rough? Are you sure that you were not just impressed with the power it had when it was new and now you are use to it?

4. POWERSTROKEFURY

POWERSTROKEFURY Junior Member

It's a 2000. But I have gotten used to my 6.0L, that might be what's doing it. But even the rest of my crew has noticed though. It only has 30,000 miles on it. It hauls a trailer and material, nothing but a work truck.

5. Bolts Indus.

Bolts Indus. PlowSite.com Addict

Just food for thought.

Are your miles just arouind town? If they are, then take her out on the road and keep her in 3rd gear and get the revs up and blow the **** out of her. The worst thing for an engine is to have a lazy day,week, year. All engines love the revs because they are getting the adrenalin ( oil ). The worst thing you can do to an engine is baby it. Give it hell. But change the oil every 3,000 miles. Works for me and I have never had block damage ,or piston, or head, etc. on any vehicle in 35 years. God D*** alternators. Of course you can't change the oil in a alternator. See.

6. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

All else fails have Ford take a look at it> I work as a Paramedic and our trucks get real weak sometimes and the mechanics will finally break down and have Ford scan it or what ever they do to figure it out. It comes back from Ford and they are like reborn. Must be the electronics or something?
    But ours are all older PSD's so it may be different for you.