1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

A vid for Ole Tower

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by streetsurfin', Oct 11, 2007.

1. streetsurfin'

streetsurfin' Senior Member

and any other seasoned drivers out there.

There was no time to be talkin on cell phones back in the day.

shifting a five and a four

Last edited: Oct 11, 2007
  2. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Learned how to drive on a 75 Ford tandem with a 477 gas and a 5 + 4. It's our water truck now but in it's day we hauled all our grain back to the farm with it. I still like driving it and on a good day you can even make some of the shifts with out the clutch. If that thing see's a hill though, you better hope you can shift because you'll be doing lots of it. Good Vid, you always remember your first!!!

3. Buster F

Buster F Senior Member

10 years ago i took my CDL test in my 69 Mack DM 800 equipped with the famous "quad box" transmission. Although the truck was nearly 30 years old at the time it was in near perfect condition and working everyday. After successfully passing the walkaround portion of the test it was time for the roadtest. After climbing in the cab and quizing me on several more test items (low pressure warning buzzer, compressor kick-in/out, and what not) the Mass. state trooper giving the exam took a look at the two sticks and asked me "what the hell is that" to which i promptly replied "that there is a quad box sir" and he said " i've heard many stories about the quadbox but never in my 20 plus years of doing this has anyone ever shown up for the road test with one" to which i said "well sit back and enjoy the show". Needless to say i'm one of the few people i know to pass the CDL test on their first try