1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

A very strange thing happened

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by tuney443, Jan 9, 2011.

1. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

The strangest thing happened while out plowing the other night.I go and load up a yard of Magic salt in my 1500 Salty Dogg and head out to plow the first round,first to get plowed is my largest account.So it gets plowed only,no salting yet as it's still snowing and there's nobody there yet to warrant a complete job.So,a few hours later, plowing another commercial lot and I see that the storm has shot it's load,so now I'm salting also.So I peek inside the hopper and there's hardly any Magic left,where there should be at least 3/4 of a yard left.I look at the lot carefully,nope,the amount of Magic I layed down looks perfect,all very weird.I then go back to the first lot to plow the second time and to salt.As soon as I get there,I catch something strange looking in my headlights,something dark in the white snow.So I go over there and there's 2 piles of Magic separated by about 30' between them.It's the 3/4 of a yard that I somehow '' lost''.Yes,I was tired for whatever reason I remember when I started out[probably from waiting so long watching the snow building up],but I can't imagine starting the controller on the salter by accident and then just sitting there,especially with 2 separate piles.Shoveled it back in the hopper of course,I just hope that my salter now has a ''mind'' of it's own because I've said some not so nice things about it in the past.:D

2. Kubota 8540

Kubota 8540 PlowSite.com Addict

Quite a sight that would have been to see someone shoveling their salt back into their spreader from the surface of the parking lot. :laughing: Iused to leave the engine on my v box running between jobs but I always feared accidently hiiting the clutch switch and salting 3 miles of city streets. So I make sure to shut it off nowadays.

3. hlntoiz

hlntoiz Senior Member
    from NW, CT

I forgot to lock the pins on the bottom of the tailgate spreader a few times after emptying and cleaning it. The next storm load up and get to the first account and dumped a yard of treated salt into the lot. :cry::dizzy:

4. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

At $138 a yard,you would too.Many times when myself and others are waiting to get loaded,we help clean up all the spilled Magic from the loader that's by our trucks.:)

5. Kubota 8540

Kubota 8540 PlowSite.com Addict

Having never used Magic, but priced double what salt is selling for here, is it really that magic that it melts twice the amount of snow and ice that regular rock salt does? I'm not laughing at you, simply with you. I have read many little tips on Plowsite that I now do on a regular basis to avoid the OH ***** moments of frustration. Such as simply starting the spreader prior to filling with salt to make sure everything works properly to not leaving wet salt in the spreader overnight. I have first hand experience with most things that could go wrong with a spreader.:dizzy: Actually I would have been the person to stop and help you shovel it back in the spreader while making you laugh about it, even if you were my competition. To prove my point, I produce salt brine for my competition, which I provide a 3,000 gallon tank to store it in, on my property. We just operate a little different around here I guess, go figure? :laughing: