1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

A Truck With Potential

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by diggerman, Oct 30, 2000.

1. diggerman

diggerman Senior Member
    from Ames

I saw a cool truck a the Iowa DOT today,I don't know what they have in mind for it.It was a brand new Mitusbishi Fuso 4x4,with a ten foot contractors bed,stainless Monroe hydro spreader with small brine tanks on both sides,Boss 9'2" V plow.Both the spreader and the V plow were run off of central hydralics,all topped of by a really cool control console with the plow joystick and all the switches to run everything.We have a sweeper on a similar chevy W4 chasiss I have alway thought with the view and the turning capabilities this would be a great truck for a plow.There was a larger truck on the same principle last year using a cab forward 33,000 gvw chevy w/11ft plow and sander.Has anyone seen any trucks like these in use ?
  2. landscaper3

landscaper3 Senior Member

Alot of landscapers are going to these cab foward trucks, they are alot more maneuvable. We are looking to get a Isuzu NPR with a 18"box to haul our lawn maintenance equipment around or a 4wd with a dump body and plow. If funds were available I would purchase one in a heartbeat, I still would have to keep our 1997 Ford F350's with the powerstrokes in them both. What we need is Mitusbishi wwd with the landscape body from the bering truck like in the september 2000 Lawn & Landscape book or http://www.beringtruck.com
  3. John Allin

John Allin PlowSite.com Addict

We have two Izuzu NPR's and they are great. Don't use them for plowing, but we do use them for a sidewalk crew and salt truck. One hauls a skid steer (on a specially modified landscape maintenance bed made to accept a skid steer driven on to the bed), and one is set up for salting with a Boss v box.
  4. diggerman

diggerman Senior Member
    from Ames

Bering had a finance plan in a truck mag I was reading that was outstanding.I don't remember what it was but I think if I was looking for that type of truck it would be a good alternative.
  5. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

About 3 years ago, the Mitsu Fuso trucks were top sellers here in NJ, along with the International dumps, Allison trans, split rear. You couldn't find any. Plenty of manual equipped, single speed rear Internationals around, but no one wanted them. The Powerstroke F-350's were scarce too. In Dec 97 there was only 3 F-350 4x4 trucks in NJ. My friends bought two of them. Both put plows on them right away.

6. n y snow pros

n y snow pros Senior Member

We have 2 Mits with 9ft Boss v plows and although i have never used them those that have swear by them,due to performance,handling.
  7. Lazer

Lazer Senior Member

This is an interesting discussion.

I bought 2 new Fords this fall ($100,000 worth) and while I'm expecting them to be good trcuks based on Ford's recent track record, I can tell already we're going to give up maneverability.

So I started researching the NPR, but couldn't find any info on a 4x4. I want a 4x4 Isuzu (GMC) 109" WB.
  8. tru cut

tru cut PlowSite.com Veteran

I look't at one at the NYS woodsman's days in boonville looked good. wood have thought about one over my 550 but at 6'7" i was more than a little cramed in.
  9. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

The only problem with them is that they are all gutless. But they are reliable.And some have the same gvw as F-350/ 3500 series. The higher gvw's are as expensive as the 550 and no 4x4 option. And they ride terrible, and the cab features stink, they look like a cheap import car.
  10. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

I wonder about the stability of a Cab Over. Much of my work is off road, where the ground isn't always level. I have looked at cab overs, vs a point and shoot truck.

I will stay with point and shoot trucks for now I guess. Why?

1. Cab room
    2. Stablility
    3. Increased Hight (the cab over car increases the trucks overall hight, which is a big isshue for me.)

11. diggerman

diggerman Senior Member
    from Ames

This truck was a 4x4,I don't see stability as an issue we have a chevy W4 with a sweeper on it and it is very stable, not tippy at all.As far as power, guys around here pull skidloaders with them all the time and for snow, traction is always a bigger issue for me than power.