1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

A ton of trucks with plows headed south

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by show-n-go, Jan 29, 2010.

1. show-n-go

show-n-go Senior Member

On my way to work today i saw a few trucks loaded with salt and guy's with plows on headed south, went back on the highway at lunch time and saw a ton of guy's headed south ready to plow..

I wish i could join in on the fun but i do not have any contacts down there.

How many of you guy's took the plunge and headed south?
    Are you going to drive around and find work or do you have it lined up already?

Pi$$es me off that the storm is so close but so far away.
    Goodluck to those of you that went down.:salute:

2. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

Few guys from Plowsite made the journey to Colorado a couple years ago. Worked out for them I believe and they took skids on trailers plus plows. :dizzy:

3. forestfireguy

forestfireguy PlowSite.com Addict

If anyone down south is desperate we'll roll our fleet down, 27 plows, 6ish skidsteers and 2 TLBs available, can bring salt too........BUT it would be expensive........Fuel, labor costs, ETC........LOL it's that bad in NJ !!!!!!!

4. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

Here's the tread on it.
    http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=41790

5. iamhere

iamhere Senior Member
    from Tn

Tell me about it. I go to college in Bowling Green KY and live in Franklin, TN. Up at school they were calling for 3-5 and here in Franklin their calling for 4-6!!!!!:help: I was born and grew up in Up-State New York before moving down here so snow is now big deal to us, but good Lord when people down here see snow they pee down their pants leg. I just got home from school about an hour a go and it wasn't until Nashville that I started to see any acclimation (BG didn't start seeing snow until about one). A few guys were plowing lots but then they are only about three of the five guys around here that have plows.

My truck used to be a lot truck for the company that my dad used to work for (Georgia Boot/Rocky) and when they sold it we bought it. I just wish the plow had come with it :dizzy: or else I'd be making some extra tuition money with this event.payup

Anyone got a spare plow with mounts,wiring,instructions, and whatever else for a Dodge Ram 2500 that they'd like to get out of thier shop for a few days? lol.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2010
  6. silvetouch

silvetouch Senior Member

I have several trucks with straight or V plows. Also, salters if there is bulk available down there. Also, have skid steer with 10' pusher and skidsteer with just bucket to move snow piles.
    PM me if you need help. Sooner the better as we are few hours away.

7. iamhere

iamhere Senior Member
    from Tn

Thank you for the kind offer it's nice to know that there are guys on both here and Lawnsite that are willing to travel long distances to help others, but I was just joking (notice the lol at the end of the last sentence). I sincerly appreciate the offer and by no means am I making light or a mockery of your offer.

I think that if you wanted you could maybe get some work doing parking lots and sub-division roads and maybe some residential drives but I really don't know. I'm not in the snow and ice industry (not enough snow normally) but it's nice to learn should I ever be in the position to take advantage of winter work.

If I did need a plow I know of a Meyer dealer in Nashville that I could go to but my truck's plowing days are done, it's served its time.

As for bulk salt that's a good question, I know the DOT has it. They spread it like it's water, the only way they could put more down is if the just dumped it straight out the back.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2010
  8. forestfireguy

Meyer dealer???? UGH......LOL

9. iamhere

iamhere Senior Member
    from Tn

It's all we got (the only other brands near here are I think Western and Boss but they are on the Kentucky/Ohio boarder). You gotta remember this much snow is the exertion rather than the rule. It hasn't snowed this much in ten years!

I know my truck used to have a Fisher on it when it was a lot truck in NY, man I wish the plow had come with it.

10. KJ Cramer

KJ Cramer Senior Member

If anyone in TN or KY needs some help let me know, got trucks with plows. PM me, the sooner the better.

11. bike5200

bike5200 Senior Member
    from Ky

One thing about this snow down south that you northern guys might not think about is warmer weather. I have seen 4 to 5 inches of snow disappear with in a few hours if it gets sunny and warm. There is not that much snow removal equipment down there for a reason. 1 they do not get a lot of snow and 2 the sun can come out and it can warm up and be gone in no time. I have not look at the extend temperature forecast to see what the weekend holds. Another thing is this snow is on a week end and offices do not open till Monday so a temperature change can do the snow removal

12. bike5200

bike5200 Senior Member
    from Ky

Lot of Meyers down here and they work fine for the snow we get. In fact I would say 90 percent of all plows down here are straight blades

13. iamhere

iamhere Senior Member
    from Tn

It's more like 99%, we just don't get the snow to justify the cost of a V. Why spend the money on a plow that only sees use every few years.

14. ACA L&L

ACA L&L Senior Member

i second that one, we get snow every year, about every 2 years we get a good plow season, 7-10 events. We run meyers for 2 reason, 1. cost, 2. dealer. thats it. We usually have to drive 45 minutes up mtn to service accounts we have. They get snow pretty much like CO. This storm dropped 12" and 4" the next day. But in the city we only saw 2"in foothills, and ice every where else. crazy how it works. It snowed for 2 days but the ground temps were 40. They were forcasting6" 1st day and another 4" the 2nd day......but of course it didnt. Then the 3rd day we were not supposed to get anything and woke up to 1.5"? Go figure. I think weatherman get certified on the net now....haha:redbounce

15. forestfireguy

That used to be true, but now with V prices in many cases with 500 or so dollars of a straight blade I don't agree, thats like saying why buy a plow if it only sees snow a few times a year.

16. darryl g

darryl g Senior Member
    from CT

Hey guys, I used to be a member here but can't remember my user name or password, lol. I'm more of a regular on lawnsite. Anyway, just stopped in to see what the need might be for plows down south. It seems like this storm is a good bit out of the ordinary. I've got nothing going on at the moment and wondering if it was worth driving 10 or 12 hours to try to get some work. Hey, if I could get a grand or 2 out of it I'd do it. I'd probably haul the plow down in the truck bed though, my Silverado runs pretty hot with a Boss Pover V XT on it...I sure as hell don't want to be blasting the heat all the way down there. Guess it would be kind of crazy, but it wouldn't be the first time I did something crazy, lol. I wonder if the VW camper will fit in my dump trailer so I'll have a place to sleep? lol

17. ajslands

ajslands 2000 Club Member

How can you have 6ish skid steers, you eiher have 6 or you don't

18. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

By the time you guys get done talking about going the snow will be melted. Just get up and go.

There is a small window some have to do it and you either do or don't.

19. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

Maybe some of the skids arn't "his" and belong to friends or other family members. So the number of skids he has to use might be determined by if he gets permission from the skid owners to take them out of this area.

20. SullivanSeptic

SullivanSeptic PlowSite Veteran

I have family in Charlotte, NC. My sister in law manages quite a few large condo complexes. I've been trying to get ahold of her but, but she is not answering her phone. Anyone know how much snow Charlotte, NC is getting. If it was a substantial amount, I would make the trip south. Probably would have a week of work if the snow lasted.