1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

A Snowmobile from 1926

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by Alaska Boss, Feb 7, 2009.

1. Alaska Boss

Alaska Boss PlowSite.com Addict
    from Alaska

This is a pretty cool black & white movie/video from 1926, a friend sent me,... the new "Fordson Snow Motor", (and a Chevy model),.... some great ingenuity from an era when motor vehicles were still in their infancy. I think they could have rigged a snow plow on it as well, and it would have pushed ok. Hope the link works,... :salute:

(don't think it's been posted here before)

2. fisher guy

fisher guy PlowSite.com Addict

now thats freaking sweet i would buy right now if i could
  3. EaTmYtAiLpIpEs

EaTmYtAiLpIpEs 2000 Club Member

i wonder how fast that thing goes.
  4. fisher guy

looks like about 5 mph
  5. fisher guy

if u made the spokes or fins or whatever that thing has on the drums bigger if it would go in water looks like it would float pretty good
  6. FBN

FBN Member

That is probably one of the coolest things I have ever seen! I wonder if there are any still in existence?
  7. Oshkosh

Oshkosh PlowSite.com Addict

Great video

I love the old iron and good Ole Yankee ingenuity...
  8. KCB

KCB Senior Member

This is hands down the best video ever posted here. " a horse cant go through snow like this " Then he takes the horse through!! HA HA HA did you see him flog that nag!!
    Then he picks up three school girls !! All while wearing a suit, tie and a hat. Class act:salute:
  9. docsgmc

docsgmc Senior Member

nice to see an oldy but a goody...;)....nice video... i would love to take that beast out and play a litle:nod:
  10. fordsuvparts

fordsuvparts Senior Member

I would love to build one right now just to have.
  11. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

There are a few in museums, it was a commercial failure by Ford. It was intended to supplement farmers (who farms in the winter) and logging operations (seen in the video) but was never a match for the tracked machines like the Lynn and Lombard (google them) which could haul 60 plus tons.

It was also marketed to soft soil farmers for the flotation value- problem is in 1928, aside from the depression on it's way, most cities had municipal snow management. They were putting wooden plows on Macks and such as early as the truck was invented.

And it's not really Ole Yankee engineering in Milwaukee, is it?

GREAT Video- I had never seen on in action, only brochures and paper.
  12. fordpsd

fordpsd Senior Member

That is pretty sweeet
  13. unimogr

unimogr Senior Member

14. royallawn

royallawn Senior Member
    from kansas

back in the early 80's when i worked in the alaskan oilfields in the arctic, the japanese brought over a machine to test. they stayed in our camp. the machine was like that but huge. they called it a arcamedian (sp?) screw tractor. land, snow, ice, water. this thing went everywhere. out pulled a d9 cat. i got to drive it one time. it could go side to side as well as front and back. pretty neet machine. if i can figure out the picture posting thing, i'll post a pic of it.
  15. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Sweeeeet, pretty good thinking back then.
  16. Kevin Kendrick

Kevin Kendrick Senior Member

Nice...someone put some thinking into that.
  17. 350-CHEVY

350-CHEVY Member

that is awsome i want one