1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

A sign of things to come?!?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Premier, Dec 14, 2009.

1. Premier

Premier Senior Member

So today i took a break from cleaning up some of my accounts to spend some time with my kids before they go back to there moms. and as i was getting ready to head out the door again i get a phone call from a buddy from high school, he says you still plowing snow, I say yup and ask whats up. He works for a hotel in town and says they have not seen or hered from there plow guy in days, wants to know if i can come take a look at the lot and get them a price for plowing it. I grab my binder and im out the door. I have been trying to sign this place for years... get over to said hotel and wished i had my camra. I had to put the truck in 4 wheel drive to look at the lot..(still 8" of snow in the lot.. it snowed WENSDAY!!! so i go in meet with the manager and he tells me the last thing the guy told him was he needed to get his skid loader over there to clean things up cuz no truck would not handle it. He asked me my thoughts on the situation,so i said first off he would not have needed a skid loader for anything if he would have done shorter pushes and not piled the snow in parking stalls when there is grass all around the parking lot. ( parking lot has 1 drive lane and stalls on eithor side then grass) I told him there may be a little skidloader work but no more than a hour at best. I told him I think i can move most of it with my truck and replow the entire place so the customers could get in/out. He agreed to $110 a hour for my dodge. It took me 2 hours I plowed 75% of the lot, got done went in to talk to him about how he wanted to pay me and he asked what i would charge to do the lot on a regular basis. As he was impressed at what the mighty dodge could move and the short anout of time it took. I signed him @ 85 per hour for 1/2 ton w/ 7.5 blade, and 110 per hour for my dodge w/ 9.2 V and 150 her hour with my loader and small 84" bucket.... I hope that more people screw up there accounts so that i can go in and charge like this more often and not get laughed out the door cuz some joe gave them a bid for 45 a hour. After i signed with him i asked what he was paying the other guy, he was paying 230 per push and it was taking the guy about 4-5 hours to do.:laughing: Just thought i would share some good news for once, I hope some of you guys have had the same kind of luck with this storm. and i hope some more of these lowballers go under

2. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

i had numerous accounts like this, our first snowfall, we were hammered hard, and it took everyone some time to get it taken care of, but then you had the places that were just given up on, because it was so bad the company that bid it (probably lowballed) couldn't justify doing it. Also know of one company that bid low on a bunch of properties, and when the snow hit, took on a bunch of contracts at a higher rate and made his lowballed contracts low priority, what a load of cr@p, i hope word gets around about him, if you lowball accounts, at least do them!!!

3. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

You had me hooked until you said "mighty" Dodge!

If he was going to pay 230 an hour why did you lower your rate? Should of take that small amount ,but do it a little faster.

4. redman6565

redman6565 PlowSite.com Addict

not bad, now do a fantastic job and hopefully ink the customer to a multi-year deal.

5. Premier

Premier Senior Member

the last guy was getting 230 a push not a hour....

Yup its a mighty dodge, 6 speed manual there is nothing this truck wont push. :D

6. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

Lots of guys like to pick on Dodge. I guess they have never owned one!

7. MattR

MattR Senior Member

Yep, people like to pick on the superior vehicles. My uncle's plow truck is a newer Chevy and he is constantly repairing that thing. My old 89' Dodge is what we use to run to get the Chevy parts..lol. Then again what can we expect from a company that could stand for Government Motors..:laughing:

Matt

8. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

You do realize Chrysler took bailout money too?

9. MattR

MattR Senior Member

Yes I realize that. I believe the only one that did not take it was Ford. Honestly I would not want to buy either a new Chevy or Dodge because of that bailout crap. Actually nothing new for me mainly because if I can buy outright instead of a loan, I do not have to pay extra on something that loses value eventually.

Regardless it was referring to my uncle's Chevy always needing parts, and the Dodge was the reliable vehicle to get the parts with. And then I felt the need to poke fun at the GM name at that point.

Matt

Last edited: Dec 14, 2009
  10. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

Yeah I figured, just thought it was funny because of the irony.

11. redman6565

i run only run hummers and escalades...

lol payup

12. redman6565

actually i personally have a 98 ram, 162k miles on the old girl but she wont die and i like it