1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

A short write up on how to do the strobe mod on superduty tow mirrors

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by rb8484, Dec 12, 2010.

1. rb8484

rb8484 Senior Member

Fist, get a LED flasher, and at 4 relays. Get a spool of wire. You have to take your door panels off to get to the wires for the mirrors. Wire up your flasher to a switch. After you take the door panels off, test the wires and find the one for the parking light and the one for the turn signal. You need a relay for each light, one for each turn signal, and one for each parking light in the mirrors. I put the relays right in my door panel.

Wire the relays as follows:

Run the power "or feed" from the truck's harness to the normally closed pin 87a (where you cut the wire for the light in the mirror, it will be the hot side of the wire.)

pin 30 will run back to the light and work normally when the relay's coil is NOT energized

pin 87 will have a lead from an LED flasher running to it. (one of the channels from the flasher)

pin 85 is ground

pin 86 it your switched 12v (from the switch you install to run the lights)
    The 12v switched power will also be used to turn on the LED flasher

Hope this makes some scene!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qckbW2rUGjI

Same can be done to a 3rd brake light/cargo light

2. gtmustang00

gtmustang00 Senior Member
    from Berlin

4 5 prong relays and one flasher? What flasher did you use?

3. rb8484

rb8484 Senior Member

4. gtmustang00

from Berlin

Where did you mount the flasher?

5. rb8484

rb8484 Senior Member

I mounted it right next to my strobe power supply under my back seat. It was a central location since my 3rd brake light is also running off the same flasher

6. gtmustang00

from Berlin

That led flasher is only for 2 lights not 4. Unless you wired 2 leds to left output and 2 leds to right output.

7. rb8484

rb8484 Senior Member

You got it! My grill lights are also ran off that same flasher. They are all synced that way. So I actually have 3 lights wired off one output of the flasher

8. gtmustang00

from Berlin

Alright had me worried for a minute, now i know how i'm going to do it, pass upper led to drivers side lower led. drivers side upper led to pass lower led. Got it all figured out now, getting supplies today. What gauge wire?

9. rb8484

rb8484 Senior Member

I used 14 gauge, but that is what I had on hand. I would go with 16

10. AG09

AG09 Senior Member

Nice write up. Thank you! I will defintely be doing this install once Im back on my feet.

11. swtiih

swtiih PlowSite.com Addict

thanks for all the info

12. mulcahy mowing

mulcahy mowing Senior Member

Thank you very much :)

13. gtmustang00

from Berlin

30 or 40 amp relays?

14. rb8484

rb8484 Senior Member

Either will work just fine. There is very little draw since they are LED's

15. jpar247

jpar247 Member

I'm gonna do this mod for sure. I have an 08, who do you recommend for the LED replacement bulbs?

16. swtiih

swtiih PlowSite.com Addict

How many hours would you say this takes to do? I am skilled mechanically and electrically

17. rb8484

rb8484 Senior Member

I am not sure on that, just find out what size bulb are in the 08 lights and just get a replacement bulb that is led.

18. rb8484

rb8484 Senior Member

It just all depends, it took me around 1.5 hours start to finish.

19. grec-o-face

grec-o-face Senior Member

I did this mod a while back. It's really simple. I also have modded my RECON 3rd brake light AND cab lights (running LEDs of course). I'm running two flashers though; one for front mounted LEDs and one for rear mounted LEDs.
    If you wanted everything on one switch you could do that too.

LEDs draw VERY LITTLE current so with a QUALITY flasher (I'm using a NOVA flasher) you can power MANY LEDs.

My front flasher powers 5 roof LEDs and 4 mirror LEDs. (I plan to add two more - maybe grill mounted)
    My rear flasher powers 3 cargo/brake LEDs and 4 bumper mounted LEDs.

Great write up RB!! Glad you got it all wired!

20. rb8484

rb8484 Senior Member

Thanks! Couldnt have done it without a little help from you!
    I have my 3rd brake light, mirrors, and my grill lights all running on one flasher and one switch