1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

A Rookie Looking for a Little Advice

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by macplowing, Dec 9, 2008.

1. macplowing

macplowing Junior Member
    from Mass

Hey everyone.

I'll start with the beginning. Shortly after getting my license, I bought a 97 F350 with a 7.5 gas in it. And the only reason I bought it was because it came with an 8 foot Fisher MM (and only had 54k miles haha). That winter I did a couple driveways, made a few bucks. I found out that i actually liked the plowing, and not just the money haha.

So this year, I ended up getting several more driveways. We got a flurry the other day, and I dropped the blade coming into my driveway and when I got out, it was like I hadn't done anything. The cutting blade is worn down quite a bit apparently.

Also, while plowing a parking lot last year, my connections started smoking. So I hopped out and looked at them, and, sure enough, they were melting. The main power cable apparently got some snow inbetween the connection, and was shorting out (even though I used electrical grease).

So....I guess what I'm getting at is: 1) Is there anything I can do about the cutting edge besides buying a new one? 2) I saw somewhere on here when looking around that you don't even NEED a cutting edge? This true? 3) What should I do about the cables? Because they are not always responsive so I have to get out and shake them a little bit for the connection to be good I guess.

I know it's long, but any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Mike

2. M&M

M&M Senior Member

Fisher sells cables that come with butt connectors already attached and you just need to splice into your existing cables. After having the same problems with my old MMI plow not working on occasion I replaced the cables and was happy with the results. They got worn out over time and became a real pain. It never ends with older plows. And yes, you can run without a cutting edge. The original trip edge is designed to be worn down before a cutting edge is put on. Do a quick search and you'll be all set.

3. tom_mccauley

tom_mccauley Senior Member

If you still have alot of life in the cutting edge (just the corners are worn) you could take an angle grinder to it and take the center down to meet the edges, However this greatly reduces what life you have left in the cutting edge!.

4. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Check and make sure how much original cutting edge you have. If you're wearing into the spring shackles, it can lead to big trouble. Whatever you do, DO NOT wear into the spring shackles. A few years ago on here,a guy I "knew" bought a used plow. About the second time out, he wore through the shackle and wanted to know how he could repair it. Short answer - he couldn't. The plow went to the scrap heap and he found another part time income.

5. macplowing

macplowing Junior Member
    from Mass

Thanks everyone. I was able to find a cutting edge for $100 locally, so I went with that. It was worn down so much that it was almost already using just the trip edge. The wires, I'll wait a couple storms to get the funds to replace them.

Thanks

6. creativedesigns

creativedesigns PlowSite.com Addict

You can easily flip the cutting edge around, saving you money.

7. mycirus

mycirus Senior Member
    from Mass

+1 Cutting edges have 2 sides, flip it first then next season put on a new one.

8. BigDave12768

BigDave12768 PlowSite.com Addict

i am pretty sure you can only flip and Xblades cutting edge. As for your cutting edge wearing always make sure you dont wear it down so much that you drag the trip spring bottoms

9. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

If you are using the original trip edge, you cannot flip that. The trip edge should be worn a few inches before putting on a cutting edge. (A cutting edge is bolted to the trip edge). Any cutting edge can be reversed (turned upside down) to use both sides. You might have to use a cutting torch to cut off the bolts holding the cutting edge to the trip edge.

10. ATouchofGrass

ATouchofGrass Member
    from CT

Yea, when you see the connections burning, that is a sign of them being worn out. This actually happened to me at the end of last years winter. The last storm, the plow started to act up and not turn from side to side or raise up or down. Definitely get on that, because the last ting you want is to be jacking the plow up in a storm and transporting it to a shop..