1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

a question for B&B

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by elite1msmith, Sep 2, 2008.

1. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

or anyother knowelegeable person ... i know there are only a few :D

replacing leaf springs on a dodge 2500, Do i need to get new u bolts, that hold the sping to the axle? i assume no, these are only 4 yrs old, good condidtion, good threads, how eever i thought that i would ask just to be sure. as always there is a budget. i didnt know if that was one of those parts, that once you put them on , they recommend replacement upon breaking them loss?

2. Bossman 92

Bossman 92 PlowSite.com Addict

I am no expert, but I just had mine re-done and they used the old u bolts. I think as long as they can get them off your ok.

Bossman

3. elite1msmith

from chicago

i have just seen alot of places just tourch off the old ones... normally i assume thats because they are lazy, its easyier.... but again just wanted to be sure. kinda like how when you change a U - Joint they recommend using new hold dlwn straps, and bolts, and not the old ones. for what ever reason

4. Bossman 92

Bossman 92 PlowSite.com Addict

When I say "old" they were new last year.

Bossman

5. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

As long as you can get them off and the threads are in good shape after you do, then they're perfectly re-usable.

But, if you need to heat the nuts to get them off, replace the nuts with good grade 8 nuts or actual U-bolt nuts (if you have access to them). Check the threads very closely on the U-bolt as well. If theirs any question, replace them all.

6. elite1msmith

from chicago

thanks BB!

7. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Holy smokes, I thought you knew everything, Elite.;)

8. elite1msmith

from chicago

Jd, i have never said that i know everything, and anything that i dont know, i have clearly stated that i dont have the proper knowlege to answer the question. or i have asked

9. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Did you see the smiley face winking at you, as in I"m joking.:drinkup:

10. elite1msmith

from chicago

:drinkup: yes im well aware :redbounce

11. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

u bolts

well opinion's are just like !!!!!!!!!!!%$^&&*>< i got one new one's are cheaper than an new rear end if the thing exit's stage left .u-bolt's stretch upon instalation and should be retourqed approximately a week to 10 day's after driving .the u-bolt's never get checked after and they will be loose .most time's they will not retourque very well after a year or so .it's cheap insurance !!!!!!!!!!:drinkup:

12. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Thats the main reason I like to use the used ones if I can, as they're already "pre-stretched" from being on there the first time. Brand new U-bolts need re-torqued more times than used ones as they need "stretched"....and you know they won't bring it back in order to do so.

13. Milwaukee

Milwaukee 2000 Club Member

I don't want put old u bolt when it remove then put on it then tight it.

We try that we gave up when it stripe because it not hold thread when torque it. Most time best is replace new for safety.