1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

a question about power draw with a boss

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by jsheedy75, Feb 12, 2004.

1. jsheedy75

jsheedy75 Member
    from CT

I was talking to someone today about my upcoming new plow purchase. I am planning on picking up either a 8'2" or 9'2" boss poly v. This is going on my 2000 f250 pds. He told me that boss plows are very hard on electrical systems. I had not heard this, but he said he had one and could not keep altenators or batteries in his truck. Any opinions on this?

2. capital

capital Senior Member

check to see if your truck is snow plow prep, if it is will be able to handle the draw on its system. If its not u might need to beef up the alternator and battery. Have the dealer check to see if your truck was set up for plowing. If your truck is non snow plow prep the upgrade will not be that expensive.

3. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

since it is a diesel, it already has the dual battery option, and should have about a 130 amp alternator. Most likely your friend had a bad electrical system, something wasnt right with it, and the plow just made it worse. :D :D i have a 9'2" steel v blade, on a f-350, and it is alot of weight. The poly weights 30 lbs more. I thought that boss recommends the 9'2" v blade for 1 tons only.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2004
  4. jsheedy75

jsheedy75 Member
    from CT

If my research is right the only difference between an f-250 and 350 are front spring packs and rear spacer block. I plan on installing "x" springs in the front, 4" blocks in the rear along with a set of timbrens. I will have a sander in the rear as ballast. I think with that setup I should be ok. Unless there is something I don't know about?

5. LockedUP

LockedUP Senior Member

Yup you are correct about the Xsprings I would get them.The 250 and 350 are the same. Same springs up front..
    See what alt you have..You may be able to use a 200 amp 3g.
    You might have a 105 amp...

Last edited: Feb 12, 2004
  6. 04superduty

I think the front axle might be different. I know on the f 350 there is a dana 60.

7. LockedUP

LockedUP Senior Member

From 99 to current both the trucks have been the same except the rear blocks and sticker...In 2002 the fronts are dana 60 diffs.
    Nothing else is different with the Single rear wheel trucks.

8. 04superduty

GVWR is higher on a f 350. 9900 verses i believe 8800. Lockedup i asked my dealer about the front axle being different and got the deer in the dead light look. Like, whats a front axle, or dana. Sometimes i wonder why some of these people actually work at a dealer.

9. LockedUP

LockedUP Senior Member

Thats cause the standard tires on the 250 aren't load range e they are D's All springs, axles, everything is the same thats why you buy an f350 not a 250...The sticker!!

10. jsheedy75

jsheedy75 Member
    from CT

I bought this truck used and it took me almost a year to find exactly what i wanted. At this point in my life I won't buy a new truck. Too much cash lost in the first two years of ownership on depreciation alone. I have plans for the $10,000 I saved by buying a two year old vehicle. It turns out that when I found this truck that it was a 250. After some quick research I found the only differences were the rear spring blocks and the door sticker. I already have "E" rated tires and will be installing the "X" springs in a few weeks. I have a fisher on the truck now, but the plow is 11 years old and only 7.5. Its to narrow for this truck. Time for it to go.

11. LockedUP

LockedUP Senior Member

The x's raised my gaser 1.5 inches and still rides nice you'll like em.
    I think I paid $130.00 a piece.

12. jsheedy75

jsheedy75 Member
    from CT

thanks I hope so

13. Mebes

Mebes Senior Member

I put tuff country add-a-leaf springs on my 01 f350 extended cab PSD with a Western 8.6' MVP. It lifted up the front and added payload to my stock V springs.
    Cheaper than X springs I think.
    no problems for me.
    I have a buddy that has a boss 8'4":confused: V on his 02 f350 PSD standard cab with the plow prep (and the X springs) My clearance with the western ultramount is slightly higher maybe .5" I like the hydraulics and hand held remote better on the Boss than the Western but the center shoe either falls off (loose screws) or breaks off (broken screws Drill them out:angry: ) at least 2 times a year on the Boss :realmad:
    As far as boss on the electrical system goes i've never seen any problems. Probably someone with a bad ground problem or to small of an alternator.