1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

A penny for your thoughts...

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by VTDave, Aug 23, 2008.

1. VTDave

VTDave Member
    from VT

I'm no newbie to plowing, but I want your advice on my next vehicle/plow purchase.

Plowing needs: I have a 900' driveway with a 20% grade and 2 switchbacks. If it doesn't get plowed, my wife can't get home. And that's bad news for both of us. I anticipate about 10 pushes per winter. The switchbacks are tight, so an F350 dualie probably isn't the best. :)

Vehicle needs: The plow vehicle will also be my daily driver, about 30 miles per day. MPG is important, but reliability is even more important. Needs to have a back seat. Doesn't need to tow or haul much.

Plow: should be capable of back-dragging and should mount/dismount easily and quickly.

Total budget: up to $13,000.

Thanks everyone for your 2 cents.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2008
  2. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Tough to be choosy in that budget.

As for the vehicle, Jeep Wrangler or Liberty, Toyota Tacoma crew cab or Four Runner.

And the blade, Snoway 22 series or ST (if you can find one used) with Down Pressure.
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2008
  3. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Any SUV that you like and can afford. Definately a Sno-Way with Down Pressure. JMO
  4. VTDave

VTDave Member
    from VT

Thanks for your input. I was thinking either a Tacoma or Jeep Liberty. Just have to decide between these very different vehicles. Of course, it's tempting to just go steal a Chevy 1500 off a dealer lot. Those things have gotten so cheap.

5. KGRlandscapeing

KGRlandscapeing 2000 Club Member

I would say an Extended cab short bed 1/2 ton would be the way to go. Decent mileage but would have the pushing power far past any shorter wheel based Suv or little baby truck. I have had to 6cyl rangers both hung plows well but would suck down the gas. So go with the half ton give you some more footing and more stabillity over the jeeps