1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

A not so sound truck purchase last year and want to know what its worth

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by GVL LLC, Mar 18, 2013.

1. GVL LLC

GVL LLC Senior Member

I bought a 99 ford f-350 7.3 diesel xl with a flat bed dump on it. To make a long story short the frame is broken and too expensive to fix. The engine runs good but needs glow plugs or relay, flatbed works like it should and has a new controller. The cab is not to bad for year and being a work truck. It has fisher push plates and two plug wiring that works like it should.

I will try to get pictures up sometime this week so you guys can give me an estimate of what you think its worth for parts. i am not really interested in parting it out. I just want to sell it intact to save time and headaches as im too busy. Thanks in advance!

2. linckeil

linckeil PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

frame is broke from excessive rust? overloading? a collision? i ask becuase if its rust, then likely the sheetmetal is no good either?

based on limited description, selling as it maybe 1000-2000 to the right guy - and thats assuming the flatbed and hoist is in good shape. tough to say without pictures or knowing mileage.

3. GVL LLC

GVL LLC Senior Member

I am not too sure about how it is broken but my guess is either rust or overloading. It is right behind the cab. But the frame is weak due to excess salt I think. The frame could have been repaired in the broken spot if the majority of the frame wasnt weak from rust. Surprisingly the cab is in good shape. The left rear cab corner is rusted through but other then that its not bad.

I will have pictures up this week, Its not at my location right now.

4. Morrissey snow removal

Morrissey snow removal PlowSite.com Addict

i would be interested in buying it for parts

5. GVL LLC

GVL LLC Senior Member

ok morrissey do you want me to email you pictures when i get the truck back, so that you can throw me an offer?

6. Morrissey snow removal

Morrissey snow removal PlowSite.com Addict

7. TJS

TJS PlowSite.com Addict

Post pic here. This is the second or third 99 that I have seen with a broken frame in the same spot you describe. There is one driving around town that is broken and he is strill driving it. It looks funny as it is collapsed in the middle. These can be fixed if you know what you are doing.
    T.J.

8. ducaticorse

ducaticorse PlowSite.com Addict
    from we

I sent you a PM regarding the 99. I am local and need an engine. If you are really scrapping it, please be in touch.

9. GVL LLC

GVL LLC Senior Member

TJS i do believe it can be fixed but I guess the rest of the back half of the frame is weak because I brought it to some guy who is usually pretty daring but does a good job and he just doesnt think it should be fixed and said your best bet is either getting a new frame or selling. A new frame cost too much so im selling it. Im getting it back on thursday and ill post pics.

I wonder if this is a problem with the 99 year? idk.
    Ducati

10. GVL LLC

GVL LLC Senior Member

ducati your pm said kd so idk what thats supposed to mean?

Also morrissey expressed interested in buying the whole truck for parts so im going to pm him/post pics and see what his offer is. I just want the truck sold as a whole for parts.

11. ducaticorse

ducaticorse PlowSite.com Addict
    from we

How many miles are on the motor? I found out my 99 has a crack in the block, and I would like a complete engine to drop into it. I need a complete motor as much of mine is shot due to rot.

Win some, loose some!!

Last edited: Mar 19, 2013
  12. GVL LLC

GVL LLC Senior Member

I honestly have no clue as the tachometer isnt working right. It says 70,000 but thats not right. What happens is the tachometer doesnt start moving until your going like 20mph so im thinking it may have twice that mileage but it runs good. Just a pain to start in cold because Im pretty sure it either needs glowplugs or relay.

Is the motor that has rot a 7.3?