1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

A "new" used beater truck

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by woodchuck2, Jan 1, 2012.

1. woodchuck2

woodchuck2 Senior Member

Regretfully i had to sell one of my 2006 Duramax's back in Sept. and now find myself in the need of another 4X4 to put my sander in so i can still use my other D-Max for plowing and tow duty without having to pull the sander out all the time. I am also looking to buy a salter for the D-Max that i can modify and use with my back blade so i still need a second truck regardless. At least the salter will be easier to install/remove.

The new rig is a 99 F-350 Powerstroke ECLB with 450k miles. It needs some brake work, new tires and batteries but it just had the tranny rebuilt for the 5th time 20k miles ago and the rear axle was replaced last summer. It has full power and a gooseneck hitch which are a plus. The truck was used for towing 24' enclosed gooseneck trailers all of its life so it has been beat on and the interior/exterior show it. But for $1k cash and a days worth of electric work hanging lights in his garage i could not pass it up.

99 F-350 Diesel.jpg

99 F-350 Powerstroke.jpg
  2. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

It don't look like much but, it's not to bad for $1,000.
  3. RJ lindblom

RJ lindblom Senior Member

For $1K that is not bad at all. And cheaper than a payment on a newer truck. Get er running good and run it for another 100K.
  4. 2006Sierra1500

2006Sierra1500 PlowSite.com Addict

Damn thats a lot of miles...good tires tho
  5. sn95vert

sn95vert Senior Member

In my honest opinion, Use it for the winter and part it out.. You'll make a few extra bucks from what you paid for it.. You're asking for problems if you keep it. Nice looking truck though. Looks just like mine.
  6. adksnowo

adksnowo Senior Member

That thing is not too rusty at all for a '99 if it is a north country truck. A lot of trucks that are that age around here can only be identified by the windshield and glass b/c that is the only thing that hasn't rusted out!
  7. K1500 4x4

K1500 4x4 Senior Member

nice find good luck with it!
  8. CAT 245ME

CAT 245ME PlowSite.com Addict

Woodchuck what are you running for a backblade on the Duramax?
  9. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

Good buy $1k. I'd run it 'till it dies. As soon as it needs more than $750 in work...junk it.
  10. IceJockey

IceJockey Junior Member

I agree 100%
  11. thelettuceman

thelettuceman PlowSite.com Addict

nice find for $1000
  12. woodchuck2

woodchuck2 Senior Member

It is a home made back plow that i threw together last yr. I started with a 8'western blade that i cut 9" off the top of, used a Fisher MM1 pump and made my own control. I used a rather large double acting ram for the blade. I have to do some work on it this yr, the ram is way to big and powerful for it. It can pick up the rear of the truck off the ground and it plays hell with the structure i built. I am going to rework the frame and put two smaller double acting rams on it, one on each side so i can still use the sander. I have $300 in it and the thing worked great. I just may opt to buy a Daniels next yr too.
  13. woodchuck2

woodchuck2 Senior Member

The truck is at a friend shop right now, i have no desire to wrench on it. He was very surprised to find it was in decent shape yet. The front axle is fresh and tight, frame is still good. But it does need brakes lines in the rear, all 4 shocks, will need brakes soon and the right rear main leaf spring is broke. So i gave him the go ahead to do the brake lines, shocks, pads and i will look for another main leaf in the mean time. I may even put a plow on this if it survives the next 9-10 months well. If not i can easily get my money back parting it out.