1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

A new Plowing scene

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by PlowboyBlake, Jan 11, 2005.

1. Hello everybody.
    I took a trip to the UP of Michigan this weekend to go snowmobiling and it was great. I GOT TO SEE SO MANY PLOW TRUCKS!!!!!!!!! It is wierd up there though, every plow you see is either a Western or a Boss. All the Boss' are V's and the Westerns it's a tossup between a V and a Straight. All have steel edges and everybody runs shoes. I was in Watersmeet MI and Land O Lakes WI most of the time. What do you guys think about all this? After seeing all their snow I want to move to Michigan soon................... :redbounce Talk at Ya'll later.
  2. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

Boss and western are manufactured up there. People up there plow almost daily, i would guess that they need the V's for heavy snow. The Boss plant is in Iron Mountain and they have a wide range of V's for many trucks (including 1/2 tons) and really "push" their V-Plows strongly. They probley all run shoes because they plow alot of dirt/gravel/uneven surfaces. They do get quite a bit of snow up there. You go out of the cities like in northern new england and you see completely different trucks/plows, snow becomes a way of life and not something that is delt with for a few days and then is out of the way. Its constant for 6 months. Glad you got to do some snowmobiling, at my families house in northern NH i have done very little, lake is not even safe yet, temps have been up/down/up/down, etc. people falling through the ice left and right. Its only this week that the snow cover has gotten deep even near the canadian border. Until last week, i had more snow at my house then up there.
  3. plowman350

plowman350 Senior Member

up north MI

My parents have a place in Boynce City MI up norht. Yes, they get tons of snow up there and plow a lot more than we do. However, the cost of living is so much cheaper, and jobs are more scarce. So, per push/per hour prices are much lower. I'm sure they make more money up there because of the amount of snow events they get, but they're working harder for it.

I'll bet if you broke it down hourly, they're not doing nearly as well up there. Their towns aren't so big, even in the wealthier areas they are small and not enough jobs to go around....higher competition for the few "big accounts" and therefore lower prices.

In general they earn more revenue, but the competition means that they do a lot more work for the amount of money they make.
  4. glenspot

glenspot Senior Member

You were in my back yard. Watersmeet is maybe 10 minutes down US 2 from me.

Blizzards are the next thing coming around here. They're made over in in the Copper Country.... They're slowly seeping in.

Shoes.... come up in the summer. Our roads are TERRIBLE. most driveways are dirt. And with so much snow we plow our piles WELL into the grassy areas. Just so we have enough room by that big April storm.

The BIG accounts, like k-mart and large gas stations all end up either hiring people who will park loaders with push boxes or big road graders onsite. The smaller companies with pickups basically do SMALL commercial and residential (neither pay that great)

And, for the most part...unless you have a plow that comes off easily...folks leave their plows on all winter. (And everybody with a pickup has a plow..and everybody has a pickup)

Last edited: Jan 12, 2005