1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

A new Idea. Plow MFG Exec's Please read

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Northland, Feb 9, 2007.

1. Northland

Northland Senior Member

It seems like almost all new pickups need to have the facia trimmed to have a plow mounted on a pickup. And if they dont need to be trimmed the plow mounts hang out and lets face it, most of the time are a major eyesore.

Why dont the plow manufacturers start to make their own replacement facia's and valances that flow around the plow mount. This facia could be included as a part of the plow mount kit. A vehicle specific mount and a vehicle specific facia. I am sure most people would be more than happy to pay a little extra (Im thinking $75-$125) for the extra facia that would fit perfectly on the truck and work around the mount and tie it all together for an asthetically pleasing package. Also provided in the mount could be a pocket to mount your electrical connectors.

Am I crazy or does this sound like a good idea. I would think it would be feasible. I know you probably couldnt have a facia for EVERY vehicle. But one for Chevy's, Fords, Dodges etc. At least the later models.

Let me know what you all think.
  2. firelwn82

firelwn82 PlowSite.com Addict

Just take the facia off mount the blow box and take it off in the spring or summer. It realy not that hard to disassemble the box from the truck. But you do have a mighty damn good Idea no doubt.
  3. Northland

Northland Senior Member

I think that is missing my point. The purpose would be to make attractive enough that you wouldnt want to take the mount off. Or at least make it flow better.
  4. Flipper

Flipper PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

Ever price one of those air dams or front bumper covers? A lot of them are more like 200-300 and up. I like the idea but the cost is high.

How about when you get the plow prep part of it is a air dam or lower cover that allows for the mounts.

Of course it would be even easier if all PLOW manufacturers used the same mount like receiver hitches in the rear.
  5. Rampart Ranger

Rampart Ranger Senior Member

Not a bad idea, but probably cost prohibutive. Ten minutes measuring and cutting with jigsaw seems more efficient.

I, for one, like the Western UltraMount which with the aforesaid trimming of air dam, allows very near factory ground clearance (and only about 50 lb added weight) with plow removed - no need to remove mount.
  6. firelwn82

firelwn82 PlowSite.com Addict

I caught your point but.... I had an opinion. Your idea is still very good though. I just preffer to buy a truck with out the air dam. Yes its older but it's a hell of a-lot easier to work on for sure. Its a 50 - 50. You just have to look for good trucks which are slim by the way.
  7. Superior L & L

Superior L & L PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

I have a Chevy Avalanche and you cannot take the facia off cos it has fog lamps bilt into the facia

sound like a great idea to me!
  8. ThisIsMe

ThisIsMe Senior Member
    from Mass

I was hoping you were going to suggest an outside temperature gauge that works on a truck with snow plow prep.

Although the valance is a nice thought, if they cannot get the temp gauge to work right, I doubt they would take that much trouble for the valance.

I honestly think the big three could care less about plowers. Look at the ads you see from them, ever see them brag about plowing with the truck, or is it always about towing?

Probably because towing does not cost them the money in warranty work like plowing does?
  9. Northland

Northland Senior Member

If you price out a new OEM valance they are only about 50-150. Now I know the car MFG's are able to produce these items more efficiantly and cheaply than others. but I think it would be something worth looking into by the Plow manufacturers. If they could produce something plow and vehicle specific for a reasonable price. I could see alot of people being interested. Just a thought.
  10. Northland

Northland Senior Member

I was looking more at the Plow manufacturers to produce them. Im sure the truck mfgr's wouldnt give a rip.
  11. ThisIsMe

ThisIsMe Senior Member
    from Mass

My bad. With them you might at least have a chance.
  12. cjasonbr

cjasonbr Senior Member
    from Mass

It's a good idea, but doesn't seem very realistic. To make an aftermarket front spoiler for most trucks would be expensive and time consuming. Lots of R & D, with more D than R.
    The only hope for this concept would be for Boss or Fisher to team up with some aftermarket body panel company. But still i don't think it would be very profitable, if at all.

A better idea would be to just manufacture a low profile plow hitch. You could use the same manufacturing techniques and companies. You don't have to advertise or develope a new product line, and they get 100% of the profits.

But then again, i'm sure they thought of the 'low profile plow hitch" years and years and years ago.......

Some installers butcher the spoiler less than others.... It all depends how much time they want to spend installing your plow...
  13. Rcgm

Rcgm Senior Member

I think it is a good idea.I like my on the it say SNOWAY xysport right on the front.I wouldn't take it off for the summer because I got a few accounts from that mount being on there.I was at the gas station 1 time and the GM of Crystal Flash station I go to said hey you plow snow?I siad yes and I got a new contract.