1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

a new cvs store being built..

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by PremierLand, Apr 28, 2005.

1. PremierLand

PremierLand PlowSite.com Addict
    from detroit

Theres a new cvs store being built, I'd like to give them a proposal. Ive never done any commercial work, but now that im getting a f250 and a plow, I'd like to. BTW, I do have insurance for plowing, well, I plan on getting it. anyway, how do i go about bidding it. Once its open do I walk in and ask to see the manager? or is their some way I can get ahold of it before its even open?

2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Ask the manager if he has a Request for Proposal for snowplowing, yet. But snowplowing might be arranged through their Corporate headquarters, perhaps through a contracted maintenance company.

As for insurance, make sure you can get commercial coverage and be prepared to submit Proof of Insurance to the amount they specify, perhaps naming them as "Additional Insured". You're going to need more than one commercial account to make the additional cost of commercial insurance worth it, especially if they require a high level of coverage.

Sorry but I didn't check your profile till after I'd put up that response. At 16, it's unlikely that you can get insurance and even more unlikely that CVS will grant you a contract.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2005
  3. PremierLand

from detroit

im 17, but insurance can go in my pappys name. the business insurance is in his name now, because I couldnt get it....

And I plan on getting other commerical lots, I know the owners of gas stations, 7-11s, body shops, and the owner of a 9 building apartment complex. So Im planning on bidding those asap

4. Mick

from Maine

Mark, check the insurance policy regarding other people operating business vehicles. Also check age limitations if your policy covers employees, including relatives. Remember, it will be your father's insurance, not yours.

You might also look into ramifications for falsification of official documents (signing a contract with your father's name). If your father signs, the above will apply.

5. PremierLand

from detroit

Yeah I need to.

And I would never forge someones name man, if thats what your implying, im not that dumb.

6. OneBadDodge06

OneBadDodge06 Senior Member
    from Iowa

I don't think Mick is implying your dumb, he just wants to make sure you don't end up with your @ss in a bind. I know I couldn't get commercial insurance on jack squat til I was 18 but that might just be State Farm's policy. Good luck bidding. :drinkup:

7. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

I don't think you really want to be dealing with a large coperation like CVS your first year plowing and trying to run an all out snowplowing business. As Mick said, you will at the very least have to fill out a request for proposal and most likely have to deal with the corporate headquarters or a matainance company. Iam 99% sure that they have alredy got someone local lined up to do the plowing, they usually do that pretty early in the construction process. You will also have to carry LOTS of insurence plowing a place like CVS not to mention that its a HUGE liability that you don't need your first year. I can't take everything you say seriously because it changes all the time which is fine, but tommrrow it will be something different. How much experience do you have plowing? From what you have said just once or twice with a friends fathers truck, is this correct? Are you sure that you will be able to handle a parking lot the size of CVS your first year plowing, especially by yourself in a heavy snowstorm along with your other commercial lots? I would stick with the local companies that you have a relationship with and know how to contact and can easily talk to if problems come up. Stay out of the major bids your first few years until you know what you are capealbe of doing and get more experience. I know I would have been in trouble if I took on something the size of CVS the first year I ever plowed. Iam "good enough" to efficiently plow something of that size now, but my first year, I would have screwed up alot. You think its really easy until you get some experience in those situations, then you realize that it takes some aquired skill that you need a year or so experience to really do well. You should also have a backup truck with a plow if your doing large accounts like CVS. They will want salt/sand as well, so you will need a spreader AND that means alot of extra expenses for sand/salt. DO NOT bite off more then you can chew your first year, its the worst thing you can do. Iam 18, and I think CVS or a similar establishment would laugh in my face if I tried to submit a bid, weather I could do the work right or not. Just the way it is. Stick with business owners that you know so you don't get screwed. CVS parking lot or any commercial los is no place for on the job training. Get used to the truck and plow first, with some smaller accounts, id strongly advise some residential then look for some bigger accounts in the next few years. Subbing gets you good pay and alot of expericnce minus the business side of things and some of the liability. You have 40+ years of your life to run a huge plowing operation, you just cant do it at 17.

8. PremierLand

from detroit

ahh, thanks for the advice.

yep cja, your right, things I say do change all the time, I agree, lol. Also, yeah I only plowed like 2 times in my freinds dads f250.

but you guys are right, I'll just try to get smaller local places that I already have a relationship with.

9. cja1987

Changing is fine, as long as your thinking, keep all these ideas. Down the road, they will add up. If your starting to build a reputation now, where will you be 30 or 40 years down the road if you continue to grow and make this your career, you'll be watching all your employees do all the work and you'll have plenty of $$$$$$$. You have TONS of time to grow and you'll gain experience in no time, after your first year, plowing is not that challenging. Its a matter of working everything out that goes with it, and you need a year or so of easier/smaller stuff. Keep the ambition, and turn it into something positive down the road, get your name out there. One of the richest guys I know started landscaping with an old beat up pick up, a little trailer, a used mower and a plow for the winter when he was 17. Now he owns one of the largest landscaping/garden center/excavation/plowing (town/state/commercial contracts) companies around here. He has all kinds of money now. There is plenty of time, and money if thats what you want to do for the rest of your life.

10. SkykingHD

SkykingHD Senior Member

Plowing CVS

Was CVS one of the companys that used SMG to do there snow removal? If I remember right you had a whole bunch of hoops to jump through to get paid. There were more reasions to not get paid than to get paid. Someone please help my memory.

Dave

11. Mick

from Maine

I don't know about CVS, but SMG had some Rite Aid stores. I wouldn't doubt that CVS uses a similar service. That was another reason for me telling him to ask for an RFP. The one I got was several pages and the requirements are very specific as to equipment and reporting procedure. Definately not for someone learning the business.

I never want to discourage anyone, but at the same time you have to be realistic. I certainly did not mean to imply that you are dumb, Mark, I was simply taking my cues from your responses where you said you didn't have insurance now but intended to get it and the followup ... "but insurance can go in my pappys name. the business insurance is in his name now, because I couldnt get it...". That's where I suggested you check the policy. Then you posted ... "And I plan on getting other commerical lots, I know the owners of gas stations, 7-11s, body shops, and the owner of a 9 building apartment complex. So Im planning on bidding those asap". So then I wondered how you would bid on them in your name if "your" insurance is in your father's name. Also, with the insurance in your fathers name, how are you covered? Not that you are dumb; this is actually a common tactic that some try. However, insurance companies are usually one step ahead.

Keep at it, though. Keep plotting and planning. Like cja1987/Chris said, you'll likely wind up sitting on top of the heap.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2005
  12. cja1987

My insurence is also in my fathers name, with me on it as an employee who is allowed to drive the vehicles. I plan on getting it in my own name as iam 18 now. It is alot of money to have it set up like this but thats the way it is. Its good that your doing it right. I would look into exactly what to expect from insurence when in your fathers name as Mick said. It varies from policy to policy (as far as I know).

13. T-MAN

T-MAN PlowSite.com Addict

Yes CVS is under a nation wide contract with good ole SMG. Maybe contact Motorrider000 about under age "Commercial Insurance" , he stated he is fully insured under his dads name. Maybe he can steer you in the right direction, I know when I was under the age of 20 I could not get commercial for anything so good luck.
    Todd

14. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

You shure on that? Our local CVS is plowed by a local guy I know- pretty sure he is not affiliated with SMG, or any other company for that matter. He has been plowing them for years too.
    They were an offshoot from the original guy that had the contract with the adjacent plaza (much larger) and when he gave it up they took the CVS one directly I believe.
    I'll have to ask him next time I am in his store.

15. gpin

gpin Senior Member

Premierland, don't worry about the big corp work. They will probably just torture you. Start out with the local lots where you have a relationship with the owner and do a great job where you can be noticed.

The fact that you were all over the new CVS shows that you have drive and initiative to do well in business. Start out slow and make sure you can handle your accounts even in a big storm without any excuses. Good luck, I'm sure you will do well.

16. T-MAN

Justme , The paper work sent to me by Snow Management Group stated they had locked in a nation wide contract with CVS in 03. This may have been false but that was what they stated, there was a list of probally 30 or 40 stores and addresses for me to bid on if they were local. There may be stores that are not under there contract I dont know. The Cvs by me is plowed buy a local landscaper.

Todd

17. SLC1

SLC1 Senior Member

Snow Management Group does hold the contract for all snow removal services at all CVS locations. I dont know for how long the contact is good for but we have been plowing CVS's for SMG for the past 3 years. If you want to plow for SMG you will have to meet their insurance requirements and fill out SMG's vendor application, also everytime that you service the account you must fax in what you have performed there or you will have trouble getting paid. Just my two cents.

www.schmidtlawncare.com

18. T-MAN

SLC1` then I assume the checks came directly from CVS ? It sounds like you were paid for your work at these accounts . Not looking to stir up a Hornets nest just a question.
    Todd

19. SLC1

SLC1 Senior Member

We auctually do alot of work for SMG, we do Wachovias and CVS's but we are paid directly from those companies so we have been very lucky with them, as for doing work hourly for SMG we havent done any of that so cant really speak for those guys, have heard lots of bad things, but so far so good for us. Just my two cents.

www.schmidtlawncare.com

20. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

I do a route of 5 CVS ' S figure on 40 - 50 minutes a piece. They are in Akron Ohio, but they all seem to be close to the same size lots. The company tends to split up contractors in areas so prices will be different.

Last edited: May 3, 2005