1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

A litttle help

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by seein green, Sep 5, 2008.

1. seein green

seein green Junior Member

I have searched this forum for pricing help. The only input I can come up w/ is to take your time on the job and multiply by your hourly rate. This is a no brainer. What I'd like to know is what you are charging per hour in your area and are your rates on the high or low end of the competiton in your area. I am in the Kansas City area and need some help.
    I'm bidding on a lot that is 13,000 sq. ft. fairly straight. customer would like salt and sandon the parking area. There is 1600 sq. ft of sidewalk to be cleared w/ calcium applied also. I've got a figure based off of other small accounts I had last year, but would like some more input. Would appreciate any help.

2. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

well figure a truck can clear an acre per hour, and a sidewalk shovler around 800 sq feet per hour and your set... pricing might be around 125 per hr

but thats a small lot, and your going to be at a minimum charge for that one

3. seein green

Thanks Elite. So what is your minimum push. And 800 sq. ft an hour? I would fire my help if they were that slow!

4. powerjoke

powerjoke PlowSite.com Addict

where in the K.C. are are you?

the reason i ask is because.....rates vary so much even in our area. that these boy's up north get pretty good money compared to the peanuts we are used to working for :dizzy:

i have heard of guys getting up to $125/hr in olathe and other ritzy district's

don't take on any more salt/sanding this year unless you have youre ducks in a row.

PJ

5. seein green

I'm in the Lees Summit area. And you?

6. elite1msmith

from chicago

my min , is one hours worth of work....

if i really want the account , i might throw in the salt for free, or price it, so that the salt and plow equals my Min charge, but thats only if i dont have to drive more than 2 mins from an account i already have

7. seein green

Elite that makes sense. How about the sidewalks? Do you charge on top of that minimum for the sidewalks and calcium. I was figuring $215.00 for the parking area, the sidewalks and the applications of salt, and calcium. Does this sound ballpark or too high too low?

8. elite1msmith

from chicago

215 to plow it? its a small area, seems high

9. bigearl

bigearl Senior Member

I like to charge by the second cause you and the customer dont get the shaft

10. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

but whats the going rate per second in your area LOL

11. bigearl

bigearl Senior Member

0.034 cent a second is the going rate provides a pretty good living

12. cretebaby

that price sounds fair, but how many seconds will this lot take LOL

13. bigearl

bigearl Senior Member

3480 sec to plow

14. cretebaby

then how much per grain of salt, does it matter the size

15. bigearl

bigearl Senior Member

now salt has a every complicated price schedule. Get out the periodic table and the tiwan exchange rate chart and I will explain it to you

16. cretebaby

right now you would need the taiwan xange rate, its about the only place you can buy any

17. bigearl

bigearl Senior Member

I forgot to mention the xray glasses and the xylophone

18. cretebaby

i will need just a minute

19. dfdsuperduty

dfdsuperduty Senior Member

after look at that example i came up with a price of .006345 per grain does that sound about right:D:drinkup::Dussmileyflag

20. seein green

You guys ought to get each others number and waste your own time. Thanks for your input elite, I guess these other two senior members need their own talk show to hear themselves laugh. get over yourselves. Does senior mean your grade in school because you both are acting like one. I guess no one ever helped the two of you.